Chapter 93

"Grab that chair," Murphy points to a metal stool at the side as he grabs a hold of the long chain of seatbelts. Bellamy does as he's told, not wanting to anger Murphy further. "Stand on it."

Bellamy looks between Murphy and the noose before stepping up onto the chair, his face set hard. He stands level with the noose as my legs begin to ache from standing still for so long.

"Put it over your head."

Bellamy looks scared, a rare emotion I never see with him. "This is insane. The Grounders could atta—"

Murphy cuts him off with another shot at the wall. If there's one thing I've learnt from Murphy on our time on the ground, it's that he's a lousy shot.

My body crashes against the ladder and I scream in pain and clench my teeth together so hard I feel like they're going to break. I'm pretty sure I bit my tongue, but that's the least of my problems. My left arm feels like it's on fire, pain throbs from it and my hands hold onto the ladder so tight my knuckles feel like they've been hit with a hammer.

"MURPHY!" Bellamy yells, I assume he moves to step off the chair and come to my aid, but I can't see him as I lean my forehead against the cool metal before me, my body slumped against it.

"Nah uh," Murphy says to Bellamy, he sounds surprised, like shooting a bullet against my arm was an accident. "Don't move."

"You fucking asshole," I seethe, trying to take deep breaths through the pain.

"Sorry, Carter."

I turn my head to look at Murphy and glare at him as best as I can. He's smirking. He may not have intentionally shot me, but he is far from sorry about it.

Sweat starts to form on my forehead from the stress and I look down at my arm to see a tear in the fabric of my jacket, a deep liquid soaking it as it throbs continuously.

"I suggest you do as I say, Bellamy, or Carter might just end up with another bullet in her."

"She needs to get out of here," Bellamy all but pleads, "the bullet might still be in her arm—"

"Shut up and put the noose around you neck, Bellamy!" Murphy hells at him.

Bellamy quickly does so, the image of him standing there sparking more fear in me. "Happy now?"

Murphy yanks the belts, the noose tightening around Bellamy's neck and causing him to place his fingers in between his skin and material to give himself some room to breathe, holding onto it with his other hand.

I open my mouth to protest but a cry of pain comes out instead. Every time I move, my arm sears with pain. I see blood start to flow quicker out of the wound, the smell and sight causing me to whimper and look away.

"You're so brave, aren't you?" Murphy taunts at Bellamy. "I mean you came in here thinking you're just gonna turn this whole thing around...that you're stronger than me and maybe one of your friends would come and help you." Murphy smirks. "And you, Carter, you're even more foolish than him."

"We were f-friends once," I say to Murphy through deep breaths, staring at him. "We were two of the most feared kids in...lockup...You remember that?"