Chapter 54

The weather outside the drop ship mirrors my current state of mind, as well as the situation we're in. Rain pours down from every angle, and the wind creates such a loud, unthinkable atmosphere that it just makes me want to scream. 

My hand continues to stroke Finn's hair, my eyes never leaving him. He grew unconscious a while ago, and Clarke managed to cut off his shirt and wrap a cloth around the knife, trying to stop the bleeding as best as possible. 

I'm guessing that's the only reason I can stand to be so close to him, because the wound is covered, but even the thought of the open wound being there is enough to make me feel sick.

I finally stopped crying, but I think that's due to the dehydration, and most likely exhaustion that overwhelms me. I'm not sure what thoughts float around my head, but it's so loud in the drop ship that whatever it is I try to think about, gets knocked out and everyone's shouts surround me. 

Some of the guys are trying to hold the tent that covers the entrance down, some other kids are freaking out about the storm, and Raven is trying to contact the Ark. 

"This is Raven Reyes, calling Ark Station...come in, Ark station."

It's repetitive, and it drives me crazy, but for the first time since arriving on Earth, I pray for nothing else but the success of this radio, because if we don't manage to talk to Clarke's mom, then Finn could die. 

"Can anyone hear me?"

"You sure you got the right frequency?" I hear Monroe ask, as if she could do any better.

"Yeah, I'm sure." Raven snaps. 

From the corner of my eye I see Clarke approach, and for the first time in god knows how long, I tear my eyes away from Finn's still, pale face, and look up at her as she checks his wound. 

She removes the cloth, showing the metal knife sticking out of Finn's chest, and the swollen, bloody flesh around it. The sight brings bile to my mouth, and I abruptly turn, heaving and spitting out whatever is left inside my body, which isn't much. 

"Nice." Someone nearby comments with a sour expression, I straighten up and glare at them as I wipe my mouth, turning back to face Clarke. 

"You okay?" She asks, concern on her face. 

"Ask me again in the morning." I reply gingerly, retaking my seat beside Finn. 

"Calling Ark station. The 100 are alive, can anyone hear me?"

"This is a restricted channel. Who is this? Please identify yourself"

My head whips up at the sound of static and a new voice over the radio, she did it, Raven actually did it. 

The entire drop ship atmosphere changes, and everyone surges forward, eager to hear what is to be said. 

"T-this is Raven Reyes. I'm from Mecha station. I-I'm transmitting from the ground." Raven suddenly has a new found hope in her voice as she speaks, and for a second, even I feel like a  weight has been lifted. "The 100 are alive. Please, you need to get Doctor Abby Griffin. Doctor Abby Griffin. Now"

"Hang on, we're trying to boost your signal." I hear, static coming in from the Ark. 

Theres a moment of silence before a new voice comes in from the Ark, sparing recognition within Clarke. "Raven, are you there?"

Clarke moves forward to the radio, "Mom? Mom it's me."

I look up at her, there was a reason Clarke took off her wristband after so much determination not to. 

"Clarke?" Her mom says, I can hear the happiness in her voice from here. She thought her daughter was dead. Clarke wanted her to think she was dead.

"Mom I need your help, one of our people was stabbed by a grounder."

"Clarke, this is the Chancellor." The vibe in the drop ship suddenly changes at hearing Jaha's voice, and Clarke's face falls at the reminder of Wells, as does mine. "Are you saying there's survivors on the ground?"

"Yes. The earth is survivable. We're not alone."

"We don't have time for this." I hiss at her, reminding her that Finn's needs help.

She nods at me, "mom, he's dying. The knife's still in his chest."

"Okay. Can you patch me through to Medical?" I presume Abby speaks to someone near her, but my body freezes at the Chancellor's next words. 

"Clarke, is my son with you?"

Clarke, who at the time was pacing, stops, and catches my eye. "I'm so sorry." She takes a shaky breath, "Wells is...Wells is dead."

There's a moment of silence on the other end, Jaha most likely trying to absorb the information. 

"I'm gonna talk you through it step by step." Abby Griffin says, just as a large gust of wind knocks into the drop ship. Abby says something else, but it gets cut out, making it hard to make out her words. 

"What?" Clarke says. "Raven what's wrong?"

"It's not the radio, it's the storm." Raven fiddles with the radio.

I shake my head in anger, just as things were looking up, the storm has to go and screw us over.