Chapter 33

Bellamy places a finger to his lips, indicating quiet and we both move slowly and soundlessly through the trees. He reaches down to my waist to retrieve his axe that I took from him when I left camp, holding it firmly in his grip. We stop short when we see a figure running through the trees, but when Bellamy grabs my hand and leads us towards the person I quickly see it's Charlotte and quicken my pace.

Bellamy lets go of my hand in time to grab Charlotte and hold her in his arms, but she starts to scream and freak out.

"Shh! Charlotte!"

"Charlotte it's us!"

We whisper to her, shushing her quickly before she draws too much attention. Bellamy holds a hand over her mouth to stop her from screaming again and I place my hand on the side of her arm, both of us holding her close to us so she can she that it's us, so she can see we want to help her.

Recognition lights up in her eyes but she still struggles in Bellamy's grip.

"CHARLOTTE!" Murphy's voice booms throughout the woods and it sends a shiver down my spine.

"We have to get out of here." I say to Bellamy, who uncovers Charlotte's mouth but keeps a hold on her arm.

"Come on, Charlotte."

"Let me go!" Charlotte tries to pull her arm free from Bellamy as we walk and I frown.

What the hell is she doing?

"I'm trying..." Bellmany doesn't let her go and grabs a hold of her. "Hey, hey, we're trying to help you."

"I'm not your sister just stop helping me." She snaps at Bellamy and my eyebrows rise in shock.

"Charlotte--"

"And I'm not you." She rounds on me now, her fiery eyes piercing mine. "I'm not like you, Carter. I actually had a reason to kill Wells." She swallows a lump in her throat but keeps her voice even and sharp. "You killed your father for no reason at all, you're the real murderer here."

I take a step back from her, and stare at her in shock, and Charlotte takes the opportunity to try and run.

"I'M OVER HERE!" She yells, but Bellamy quickly chases her and grabs her, spinning her round to face him.

"Are you trying to get us all killed?" He demands.

"Just go, okay, I'm the one they want."

I shake my head and snap out of my daze. She isn't thinking straight. Charlotte is in shock and she doesn't know what she's doing or thinking or saying.

"Hey, Charlotte." I take a deep breath a push away the comment she said about me, and stand beside Bellamy, ignoring the fact that he now knows the truth. "Listen to me, okay? I know what you're going through and I'm not gonna leave you. Neither is Bellamy, okay? We. Won't. Leave. You."

"Please Carter." She pushes away from my hold but Bellamy grabs her and throws her over his shoulder just as I see torches come closer from the distance. Charlotte screams as we take her away as quick as we can.

"Murphy! I'm over here!"

"Stop it Charlotte!"

I run ahead of Bellamy as he carries Charlotte and try to lead the way through the woods as best as possible, but Murphy and his gang are drawing closer and Charlotte's words are still ringing in my head, not to mention the rain that starts to pour down on us.

We break into a small clearing and I skid to a stop, looking around frantically. It's a cliff edge.

"Shit." I breathe, running a hand through my tangled and loose hair as Bellamy comes up behind me a puts Charlotte down on her feet.

"Dammit." He says as he looks around.

"I'm sorry." I say hastily, taking a few steps away from the edge. "I had no idea where I was going."

"Bellamy!" We all turn to see Murphy emerge from the trees, a torch in hand and his goons come up behind him. "Carter. You can't fight all of us, give her up." Murphy stands just a few paces in front of me and I glare at him.

"Maybe not." Bellamy answers from behind. "But I guarantee I'll take a few of you with me."

"Carter, Bellamy! Stop!" Clarke and Finn run up to us, and Clarke stands beside me. "This has gone too far. Just calm down, we'll talk about this."

"I'm sick of listening to you talk." Murphy spits out.

"Just shut up and listen to her Murphy." I narrow my eyes and he glares at me.

"And I'm sick of you ordering me around."

Next thing I know, Murphy drops his torch to the ground, grabs my arm and spins me around so my back is pressed up against his front, his knife is held against my throat. I struggle against his grip and hiss when I feel the metal blade cutting my skin slightly, a trickle of blood running down my neck.