Chapter 75

"Grounder Princess looks pissed," Raven comments.

"Our Princess has that affect," Bellamy's eyebrow quirks upwards at the thought.

I hum in amusement as watch in my peripheral vision as Jasper lifts his rifle up, looking at the trees across the stream.

"Oh no," he mutters. "No, this is bad."

"What the hell are you talking about?" Bellamy demands, all three of us looking at Jasper.

He looks into his rifle again, scanning the area as if to make sure of something before lowering it.

"There's Grounders in the trees."

"What?"

"Where?"

"Are you sure?"

"I don't see anything."

"Shut up!" I hiss at Bellamy and Raven, looking through my own rifle. "I'm trying to look."

"They're gonna shoot." Jasper declares. "CLARKE RUN!"

"Jasper wait!"

Jasper runs out of where we hide and onto the bank, shooting wildly at the trees across from us.

"RUN!"

Chaos begins, bullets, spears and arrows fly everywhere as each side try to protect their own. Bellamy, Raven and I emerge forward slightly, and I follow Jasper in shooting at the trees.

I've only practiced a couple of times, so I don't expect to actually hit anyone, even with the adrenaline running through my veins.

Bellamy shoots towards the bridge at presumably the Grounder Princess and her two guards, but I focus on the soldiers in the trees throwing spears at Finn and Octavia.

I hold the trigger down, moving the gun from side to side until I stop, watching as a body falls from a tree and onto the bank opposite, lying still. Spears and arrows continue to fly on the bridge, and I only half see when Finn runs to Clarke's safety, once again putting his life on the line.

"Chris come on!" I hear Raven yell, but I can't move, all I can do is stare down at the body of the man I killed across the stream.

"Come on," Bellamy grabs my arm, pulling me into motion.

My legs are moving fast but I can't even feel them, I can't hear anything going on around me and I can barely see two feet ahead of me. My heart races and my lungs feel as if they're about to explode, am I even breathing?

All I can hear is my father's taunting voice in my head, the same words going round and round and round like an annoying song that stays in your mind, that pops up when you least expect to remember it.

You never think about the consequences of your actions, Christine. You are a murderer.

You have been and always will be, a cold blooded killer.

You are a murderer.

You. Are. A. MURDERER.