( 𝐑𝐄𝐒𝐓𝐎𝐑𝐀𝐓𝐈𝐎𝐍 )

( CHANGE OF POV FOR FLASHBACK?)

* FLASHBACK*

" so there are a few rules to your ability- HEY are you even listening?" y/n's father asked a young y/n as they were making flower crowns in the field their father was training them in. 

" oops sorry, i am now though!" y/n's father rolled his eyes at the child's reply. " now where was i? oh yes, there are a few rules to your ability but before i start, please activate it for me?"

as the parental figure's patience was wearing thin, y/n decided to activate their ability. " ok good! the first rule is there's a way around your ability to actually heal someone back to health but this comes at a great price." as y/n's ability made their hair grow at a fast pace, y/n's father started to braid it while humming an unknown song.

" dad? what song are you singing? also why are you braiding my hair? aren't we supposed to be training?" the curious child asked as the person teaching them chuckled. " well remember i said your ability might be able to heal someone? if you wish to do that you, yourself have to hum this song but that takes me to the next rule."

" only ever heal yourself and only it's a life or death matter. each time you use this song, it takes more out of your lifespan. first it takes a quarter then a half and so forth, but i don't expect you to understand math as you're just a kid. only use it on yourself, you hear? i don't want another person costing you your life."

" okay dad, i don't want to die easily so i won't do it." y/n said as they grazed their hand through the grass. y/n snuck away to chase the ladybugs in the field but a certain adult man thought the kid was still listening.

" last rule, never use the song to heal while you are drained either from a fight or something else. as it sucks some of the life force out of you, you will surely die if you don't have some energy left." the poor man said thinking his student would process that information for a lifetime.

* PRESENT TIME *

( THIRD PERSON POV: )

you looked around the abandoned building just searching for a clue. you could feel your anxiety building up as you were getting to the last floor. 'what if he wasn't here's started flooding around your brain. finally, you arrived to the scene and you weren't be able to find any words to describe your emotions. 'speechless' was the only adjective to come to mind.

little crystals were formed at the floor, some starting to fade away into existence. you observed the shapes and found that some were even formed into swords or knives. by this, you could detect that the boss had some crystallization ability, one he could mold into weapons as well.

you walked further down, slightly hesitant to see both akutagawa and the boss collapsed on the floor. as you studied closer, both had been impaled by different materials. the boss by akutagawa's ability and akutagawa by something crystallized. anyone that saw the scene at hand would all come to the same conclusion.

the head of the organization was a poor sport  who couldn't accept that he lost to akutagawa so he took him down with him

for some reason, you immediately realized how drained you were from the battle with oshima. it might have even been from seeing akutagawa in such a state. as you were standing by his body, you collapsed on your knees with your eyelids starting to droop. pictures of your father promptly appeared in your head as if you were about to dream off. you remembered the kind words he would speak about healing, and it came to you that maybe you had a way out for akutagawa.

you shook your head awake and thought back to the song your father would hum as he braided your hair. you saw akutagawa's hand twitch, meaning he was still alive but barely. thoughts about the situation soon consumed your mind.

can it take my whole life if i heal someone while im drained myself? not that it would change my mind anyway, i would just want to talk to akutagawa about this afterwards.

wait a minute, if it was that important my father would have made sure to tell me. phew, im glad i won't have to say goodbye after all.

you started to activate your ability and hum that song from years ago to see akutagawa's eyes shoot up. however, once the both of you made eye contact, your body seemed to fall lifeless.

A/N: there will be a year time skip soon, just thought i would let some of you know