Chapter Eleven

Three Months Later

Last day of Gelid

"Scares me to think how much time's passed," Leanne said as she gazed out the windows across from the portraits.

Elouise slowed to a halt beside her and sighed. She yearned to pretend she didn't know the significance of tomorrow.

Leanne turned to her. "There's gotta be somethin' we can do. I can't wait 'round any longer. Just let me go out there—"

"You've asked me this several times, Leanne, and the answer remains no. I'm not letting you risk your safety by going after them."

"Then what? We just keep waitin' for nothin'?" Leanne folded her arms across her chest and scoffed. "This ain't right. He would've searched every inch of this land already."

Elouise swallowed hard and averted her eyes.

"I don't gotta listen to you," Leanne then grumbled. "I can take Annaliese and Booker and we can go out there ourselves." Without waiting for a response, she took off toward the back of the castle.

And Elouise stayed perfectly still, glowering in Leanne's direction. "Why does she believe she's the only one who cares about him? I am trying." Then she turned her head, finding Ashton standing in front of Beatrice's portrait. She cleared her throat, and he tore his eyes away from the painting.

"You shouldn't let her upset you," he said. "In the time I've spent here, I have realized how rough her personality is. She is strong and honest, and she's worried about her childhood best friend. Considering how long she's known him; it's only natural for her to believe she is the only one who cares—or cares the most. Nonetheless, Elouise, it doesn't matter. You are going about this in the wisest and safest way you can. You would risk so much going after them like she wants to."

Elouise briefly closed her eyes and took a deep breath. Then she walked back into the foyer where she noticed the messenger saying his farewell. She made a beeline for him.

He paused and bowed to her. "Good morning, Your Highness! What an honor to—"

"Were there any letters for me?"

He blinked dumbly and glanced at the servant he'd given the stack to. "Ah... yes. Yes, I believe there was one." He snapped his fingers, instructing the servant to search for it.

Elouise widened her eyes. She fiddled with the soft lace as she waited.

"Here it is!" the servant announced, holding it up for her.

She swiped it from his grip, her hands shaking.

"It is from Lady Alaina," the messenger informed.

And Elouise scowled as she saw the seal that confirmed it. "Oh. Thank you." She turned, facing Ashton.

"Still nothing from Lord Udolf?" he asked. She shook her head. "Well, he and Miss Haven have certainly been awful quiet since they left after your birthday."

Elouise nodded toward the alcove beside the staircase. They headed over and she whispered, "It's been three months. I'm beginning to wonder if something happened to them or if they figured it out and have decided against helping." She clutched Alaina's letter tighter, wrinkling the edges. "I have to go to the Outlands."

"Now?"

"I can teleport there, I think."

"You think?"

"I can. I will be there and back before anyone notices my absence"—she paused, hearing a concerning thumping against the steps above. She moved out of the hole and peered upwards.