Chapter Fifty-Eight

Udolf couldn't understand how this hadn't worked. He'd spent so long perfecting that potion, recalling every detail Haven had told him. He was confident he'd done everything correctly. Yet Elouise was awake, and they were still at the palace.

And while she and Eldon returned to the ballroom as if nothing had happened, Udolf stayed behind. He paced in the hallway, cursing his own name and wondering where it went wrong, and what this meant going forward. With that plan out the window, what was there to do next?

The doors opened and he straightened himself up. Then he stiffened when he saw Elouise walking toward him.

Elouise stopped beside him and moved her hands behind her back. "Vincent has informed me that you ensured no one noticed what happened to me."

Udolf raised his brows. "He did?"

"Although I do not believe anyone would have cared, I do want to thank you. I am still confused about how that occurred, but I suppose I simply don't do well with the strong alcohol they serve here." She blinked. "Actually, what truly baffles me is how I feel perfectly fine now."

"That..." Udolf widened his eyes and glanced at the doors. "That is strange." Eldon, what did you do?

Yes, of course. That made much more sense now. He'd created the potion correctly, and Eldon had healed Elouise from it. It had to be Ashton's doing, too. Udolf should've known something like this would've happened. Now they had to wait around for another opportunity.

"Nonetheless, I am going to rest for the night." Elouise turned away from him, but he called her name. He supposed he needed to merely go back to the original plan.

She halted, peering back at him.

"I would like to be honest with you," he said.

"Oh?" She fully faced him and folded her arms across her chest. "What do you need to be honest with me about?"

Udolf inched closer to her. "I intended to leave tonight."

Elouise squinted at him. "What do you mean?"

"Why do you think I was so adamant about us spending this night together? I'd hoped—foolishly—that you would leave with me. Now I see that is impossible."

"Maximus, I don't understand. Why do you speak to me in such a manner? We hardly know each other."

Udolf nodded. "I believe we know each other far better than you think. But I don't wish to make you any more uncomfortable than I already have." He moved past her, and then it was her calling out to Maximus.

Udolf smirked to himself and stopped.

"Are you and Vincent truly leaving?" she asked.

"I am afraid so," he answered with a sigh. "There is no reason for us to stay any longer."

"Perhaps I want to know what you mean by us knowing each other better than I think."

He grinned. Yet when he whirled around, he feigned astonishment and gaped at her. "You do?"

Elouise raised her chin higher. "I suppose curiosity can plague anyone."

Udolf closed the distance between them. He raised his hand to her face and smiled softly. Hearing you ask me to stay has made—"

The ballroom doors opened, and Elouise looked over.

"Vincent," she breathed.

"What?" Udolf turned his head and watched Eldon walk toward them.