Chapter Thirty-Five

Udolf was already feeling sick from the poison again and trailed behind. He complained now of a headache and stomach pain. He sure didn't feel too sick to curse the names of Gidget, Everild, and Lord Montgomery, though.

They found Gidget first who almost dropped the tray of half-eaten biscuits she carried. She squeaked and clumsily curtsied to Udolf.

"Your Majesty!"

Eldon grabbed the tray from her before she could really drop it, and she clasped her hands together.

Udolf growled under his breath. "What did you do to me?"

Gidget gasped. "What do you mean? Is, is something wrong?" She then brought her hands up higher, shielding her mouth. "Did I do something wrong?"

"We ain't blamin' you," Eldon said, and he raised his finger when he saw Udolf glaring at him. "Gidget, we don't wanna blame ya. Just answer a few questions for us. I'll know if yer lyin'."

"I promise—I swear I will not lie." Gidget swallowed hard and took a deep breath.

"What're yer favorite flowers?"

"What?" Udolf hissed, but Eldon ignored him.

Gidget visibly relaxed as she dwelled on the question. "Gardenias... yes, gardenias. They are quite simple yet beautiful. They bring such an elegant beauty to the garden."

"Right." Eldon nodded. "Don't you like makin' teas?"

"I like to drink them." Gidget giggled.

Eldon smiled as he handed the tray back to her. "That's all. Thanks, Gidget." She thanked him, too, and she curtsied before hurrying off toward the kitchen.

Udolf grabbed Eldon by the arm, forcing him backwards. Eldon caught himself on the wall and pulled himself free. Then he whirled on Udolf.

"What was that?" Udolf asked, pointing down the hallway. "We are looking to interrogate them, not make pathetic small talk!"

"I thought 'bout yer three suspects and it just makes sense to me that they'd pick a poison easy to get. Somethin' nobody would think twice 'bout 'cause they don't know how bad it is."

"What—" Udolf blinked, and Eldon watched as realization settled on his face. "Poisonous plants or flowers. Depending on the kind, it can blend well in tea or wine." He snickered and shook his head. "This wasn't the first time I have been poisoned, has it?"

"That also depends on the type they used and how much they gave you for it to finally catch up to ya."

"I am going to kill whoever it was. Now hurry. We must find—" Udolf paused and grabbed his head. He grunted quietly, and then he started murmuring something to himself. Eldon touched his shoulder, and Udolf flinched.

"Sorry." Eldon withdrew his hand.

Udolf blinked hard. "It's fine. Let's continue and find Everild." And though he powered onwards like nothing was wrong, Eldon kept hearing him mumble words.

---

Everild made her way toward her bedchamber with a light skip in her steps.

"There she is!" Udolf cried out.

Everild halted in her tracks and blanched at the sight of them. Udolf stumbled forward, hissing through his teeth as he squeezed his stomach.

Eldon sighed. "You sure you don't need me to heal you again?"

"Shut up."

"Your Majesty!" Everild curtsied. "Do you require anything from me?"

"We do," Eldon said, moving faster to reach her before Udolf could. He smiled at her, and she tilted her head, eyeing him questioningly. "I see you pickin' flowers sometimes, but I never see where ya take 'em."