Chapter Forty-Nine

Henry truly did love nights.

Yes, he knew he didn't always make the best decisions during them, but when he simply sat and listened to the crickets, he knew nothing could be better. At least for a short while he could feel that way. Which was what he desperately needed right now.

He wandered through the courtyard, remembering the long hours he'd spent out here with Victor. The many arguments they had over Henry's incompetence. Now Victor dragged Stephan out here, and yet Henry saw plenty of differences. Stephan's mistakes were only opportunities for him to improve—not failures. Part of him felt like he should be angry about this. Henry only felt relief, though. There was hope for Victor after all. He was not a complete monster as most would believe. He simply hated Henry.

Henry paused in his step when he spotted Haven walking out onto the balcony. She halted beside the railing and shouted profanities. He frowned and made his way over.

"I was so close," she said. "What did I do wrong?"

"Did something happen?" he asked.

Haven gasped and looked down. Despite the darkness, he swore her cheeks reddened. She leaned over the railing, and she let out a deep sigh.

"Balin's dead," she said. "The latest experiment. I thought I was making a breakthrough with him because he hadn't immediately died. But then he was just asleep. I left earlier to check on him and he was doing worse. He was feverish. Now he's gone." Haven cursed under her breath. "There goes that. I have to start over."

Henry walked up the steps and joined her side. She stared up at the sky. He couldn't help noticing the helplessness in her eyes. A rare sight from her indeed. It almost seemed wrong.

"You'll get it right next time," he said.

Haven's frown deepened. "I guess it's good I'm experimenting on criminals, isn't it?" Although she tried to laugh, it came out weak. "Henry, I am sorry about your aunt."

"It's fine—"

"Is it?" She turned to him.

Henry nodded. "I've never had a close relationship with her. If it weren't for Ivy, I would've never thought twice about the Rowe family. My father certainly didn't at times. She was dangerous and a threat to everyone here. We had to stop her. We will always do what is best for everyone."

"Right." Haven raised her gaze upwards. "You know, even though nothing came about going over there—aside from her death—I thought it was bold of you to venture out there alone."

Henry blinked slowly and side-eyed her. After a beat, she smirked at him.

"You're braver than I thought," she added.

"I went there alone last year."

"Sure, but we knew where you were, and your aunt wasn't entirely a threat, because no one had seen her yet." Then Haven laughed—a real joyful laugh this time. "Just take the compliment, alright? I don't give 'em out lightly."

"I suppose... thank you?"

Haven's eyes brightened. They appeared to sparkle beneath the moonlight as she resumed star gazing. And Henry found himself staring at her rather than at the sky. Even when she pointed out a constellation that was named after the Five Goddesses, he watched as the breeze brushed through her hair instead.

Henry swallowed hard, feeling his chest tighten. And when she furrowed her eyebrows and faced him, the feeling only became worse.

It'd been nighttime when she'd kissed him back in Aristol—when she'd said goodbye, and he swore he'd never see her again. He glanced at her lips now and held his breath.