Chapter Thirty-Three

Eldon was able to move his arm by the time the sun set. Once he heard the castle grounds go silent for night, his leg had also healed. Even so, he carefully stood and examined himself further.

"That happened much quicker than I had thought," said Godwin. Eldon whirled around and blinked hard. Then he frowned, looking away.

"Oh, you are not still upset with me, are you?" Godwin chuckled. "I needed you to understand how important it is for you to obey the rules I've set for you."

"I get it," Eldon murmured. "This whole thing just got me thinkin'." He sighed and faced him again. "His Majesty's got a problem with me. We were never friends, were we?"

Godwin raised his eyebrows. "Eldon, I apologize for Udolf's brute behavior. I'd always believed you two to be friends. From the looks of it, anyway. I have seen in the past few months how wrong I was. It seems his envy overshadows all other emotions."

"Envy?" Eldon squinted. "So, he's just jealous?"

"Why, of course. He may have the crown and the riches, but he is still nothing special like you and me." Godwin closed the distance between them and gently touched Eldon's shoulder. "Now then, do not let him get into your head. You must be famished." Then he walked off as he described the delicious roast waiting for Eldon.

Eldon wrinkled his nose. He actually wasn't hungry. His head hurt, and it only ached more the harder he tried to think about everything. Even so, he dragged his feet to follow Godwin, and he reassured himself that if it was so bad, he would've been dead already.

---

"I've considered something, Eldon," Booker whispered as he chased after Eldon down the stairs. "Your brown eyes... and Queen Elouise's brown eyes—"

"Booker," Eldon warned.

"Does this mean she also—"

Eldon turned, forcing Booker to grab the railing to stop himself. He leaned in closer to Booker and said, "You gotta shut up before someone hears ya."

Booker beamed, though. "I'm merely amazed, Eldon. This whole time, I knew there was a reason you came here and why she cared about you so much. You're bonded by—"

"No." Eldon jumped off the final step and fled from the building. He slammed the door behind him before Booker could even think about following. Then he bent over, taking a deep breath. When he stood upright, he saw Leanne and Annaliese up ahead, laughing with each other. Annaliese touched Leanne's arm, and when her hand just stayed there, Leanne's face turned a light shade of red. Then they walked off together, bumping shoulders and grinning.

Eldon swallowed hard and started making his way toward the ash tree. Mercia sat beneath it with a book opened on her lap as she sipped a cup of tea. Then she looked up and smiled when she saw him.

"Isn't it a beautiful morning?" she asked.

"Yeah," he answered, standing still.

"If you can spare a moment, come sit with me. These halcyon days will be over before we know it."

Eldon pursed his lips. He sat down beside her and asked her about the book.

"I've never read this one before," she said, holding it up. "It is quite dull, but I suppose it passes the time. However, now with you here, I won't need it." She slammed it shut and turned her body toward him. "If you'd like, I can tell you about my favorite book—the best piece of literature ever written."

The idea of sitting here and listening to someone go on a long explanation over something he didn't care about sounded awful. He couldn't find it within him to make an excuse, though. Besides, she seemed so excited to tell him. He kind of liked that look on her face...

So, he smiled at her and nodded. And she scooted closer to him as she began.

---

Udolf smirked as he watched Eldon and Mercia walk together through the garden. It'd become their daily routine for the past week. Mercia even held onto Eldon's arm now.

"Look at them," Udolf said. "They're laughing."

Godwin grumbled something to himself. Udolf turned away from the window and arched an eyebrow. Godwin leaned against the wall beside the doors, his lips moving as he read the letter in his hands.

"What is that, anyway?" Udolf asked.

"Oh, none of your concern," Godwin responded. "Not yet." He folded the parchment and joined Udolf at the window. He didn't appear as impressed by the sight.

"Have you ever been in love? You've been human in three different lifetimes."

"No one has ever been good enough."

Udolf grinned. "I would not have expected anything different from you."

"I am not interested in these foolish games, Udolf. There is much work to be done." Godwin made a beeline for the doors.

"Oh, what now?" Despite himself, Udolf went with him.

"Have you noticed how calm it is?"

"Yes. We are finally living."

Godwin chuckled and shook his head. "You forget who I am and what it requires for me to be alive right now." He stopped suddenly, turning. "You could have done me a great favor when you so ruthlessly took that man's life."

"What is this about?" Udolf folded his arms across his chest. "I despise when you do this. Can you not merely say—"

"You should have sacrificed that man in my name." His eyes darkened. "No one has been doing this for me."

"I did not realize you still needed that. You made it seem like switching bodies was all you needed."

"Oh, yes. Being Prince Edward prevents me from withering away. However, I've become stagnant without the gain of more strength." With that, Godwin resumed walking, humming the same tune he always did. "Fortunately, for myself, I have an idea, and it will soon come to fruition." He disappeared around the corner, and Udolf listened to his footsteps going down the steps.

Then he ran his fingers through his hair. Godwin's woes didn't make any sense to him. They already had Aristol in their grasps, which had been the plan from the start. What need was there for more power now?

"I want no part of this," he murmured, shaking his head. "I'm fine as I am." Yet he couldn't get rid of the lump in his throat as he imagined Godwin forcing his assistance.