Chapter Forty-Two

Elouise tugged on the top of her beaded bodice and wiped the messy smears of red rouge from the corners of her lips. After this horrendous morning, she wished she could opt for sleeping in bed for the rest of the day. But she could already hear Victor's pathetic little lectures about how she was wasting away her life rather than trying to do anything useful. She amazed herself with how much restraint she'd managed with him so far. That didn't mean she didn't take out her frustrations elsewhere, though.

"Elouise," she heard Ashton call.

She eyed the door and pursed her lips before walking over to answer. "What a gentleman you are," she teased. "Even if—"

"Elouise, something has happened," he said, his eyes wider than usual. "Ivy's mother has appeared, and she's hurt Haven."

Elouise blinked slowly. "What? What do you mean Ivy's mother has appeared? That isn't possible. We searched everywhere."

"Evidently, she's done a well job at keeping herself hidden until now. She fled the palace after Queen Jasmine cried out for help. Haven is in the infirmary, but I'm unsure—" Elouise moved past him, and he followed closely behind.

"She is losing a lot of blood," he said. "Dr. Wilson has managed to slow the bleeding. He's worried about how deep the wound is."

Elouise halted in her tracks and whirled around. "Then what do we do? Haven isn't finished working for us—she cannot die now."

Ashton's expression softened and he tilted his head in a way so reminiscent to Eldon.

"Is that truly your only concern?" he questioned. "I won't believe it even if you say it is."

Elouise lowered her gaze to her hands and sighed. "Why are we wasting our time standing around here?" She turned and ran off.

When they reached the lowest floor of the palace where the infirmary was located, they were stunned to find a crowd. Servants and guards hovered in front of the entrance, murmuring to each other. Elouise cleared her throat, and they cleared a path for her. She walked in and stopped upon seeing Victor and Jasmien standing beside Haven's bedside. Dr. Wilson stood in front of a table, checking over his tools and muttering to himself. Trails of sweat kept dripping onto the surface from his forehead.

Elouise approached, earning Victor's attention. She narrowed her eyes at him. "Why are you here?"

"My unwell aunt has decided to come out of hiding," he said. "I came for the details before I send off my men to find her and kill her."

"It is not going to be that simple," Ashton said.

Jasmine frowned. "I have already told you the details, Victor."

"She knows as much as I do," Haven said, wincing as she propped herself up on her elbows. She smirked at Elouise. Her lips were rapidly losing their color, and her cheeks looked sunken. "I've never been good at goodbyes. Just... walk away and leave." Then she dropped herself back down.

"Dr. Wilson has only slowed the bleeding," Jasmine explained, hanging her head. "He is attempting to figure out another option. But if she loses anymore blood—"

"I'm dead. We get it."

Elouise glowered at Haven. "This is not the time for your smart mouth. There is a way—there must be."

Haven closed her eyes and made a noise that sounded like a soft whimper when she tried taking a breath.

Victor stepped up to Elouise, looking her over as though she were filth. "My wife and I will leave now. Cherish this final moment with your..." He glanced back at Haven. "Delinquent."