Chapter Twenty-Seven

Elouise bit down on her tongue, resisting a grunt as the handmaid finished tightening the black-laced and gold-detailed bodice. She took a breath, testing to see if she could actually breathe in this. Then she turned around, facing herself in the mirror that towered over them.

And she widened her eyes as she realized just how exposing this gown was; particularly with her chest that seemed about ready to burst. She instinctively covered herself with her arms and gaped at the maid.

"Is... is this all?" Elouise asked her.

"Yes, Your Majesty," she replied sweetly. "It looks ravishing on you!"

Elouise eyed herself in the mirror again, the shimmering gold skirt catching the sunlight from the window beside her. Although it certainly would've been nicer if the neckline wasn't so low. The sheer sleeves were also too short, barely concealing her shoulders. She hadn't realized how drastically different the styles were here.

"Shall I do your hair next?" the girl offered, reaching up to touch it. "It is still damp from your bath, but I think I can—"

"It's fine." Elouise moved her head away. "I do not mind it."

"Are you certain?"

"I am. In fact, I would like to be alone right now."

"Oh. I understand." She curtsied and smiled at Elouise through the glass. "When you are ready, King Victor says he will be waiting for you in the courtyard."

"Thank you."

She left, and Elouise exhaled in relief when she heard the door clicking behind her. She lowered her arms and grimaced before covering herself again. She glanced back at the wardrobe cabinet adjacent to the bed. It'd been left open, revealing a cloak hung inside. Goodness. The weather was dull and warm, leaving no reason to wear anything over her attire. However, she refused to see Victor dressed like this.

Elouise made a beeline for the cabinet and pulled out the silk white cloak. She threw it around herself, closing the four silver buttons in front. Then she checked herself over one more time before exiting the room. She slowly closed the door and turned toward the dark corridor, her mind drawing a blank.

How do I get to the courtyard from here

"There you are!"

Elouise gasped and spun around, coming face-to-face with Ashton. Her heart leaped. "There you are. Where have you been? I was beginning to think you hadn't been able to come with us, after all."

Ashton rubbed his neck, smiling bashfully. "I feel a bit... odd. I thought it would be safer to conceal myself completely until we were securely at our destination. I also did not want to be a distraction. Haven coming along already seemed to bother Henry enough." He waved his arms as if gesturing to their surroundings. "But I have been looking at everything. It's gorgeous here!" His eyes brightened.

Elouise nodded. "It's merely unfortunate who the king is."

"He truly is that terrible, isn't he? Don't worry, though, Elouise. When you go speak to him right now, I'll be there with you."

"Yes, be there. Hide yourself from him. However, I want to be able to see you."

"You have my word."

Elouise relaxed her shoulders. "Thank you. I'm lost as to how to get to the courtyard. This palace is a maze."

"During my brief exploring, I found it. Victor is out there sparing with a young boy."

"A young boy?" Elouise drew her brows together.

"Yes. The same who was there to greet you all earlier and who embraced Henry. He has brown hair and blue eyes, too."