Chapter Twenty-One

Elouise tugged on her lace sleeves. They made her itchy.

Gidget came up behind her and gently brushed through her hair, freeing the tangles. As much as Elouise avoided her reflection, she still saw glimpses of herself in her peripheral. She stared down at her wide, burgundy-colored gown instead. The gold detailing on her beige bodice kept catching the light from outside, shimmering in an almost insulting way.

She'd decided on this gown rather than wearing something darker. She didn't see the purpose in changing into another once she returned to the castle. After all, her coronation would take place right after the funeral.

Everild stood on Elouise's right and adjusted the sleeves that wouldn't quite stay on her shoulder. After a moment of fiddling, Elouise waved her away.

"It's fine, Everild," she murmured, pulling it up herself.

"It's a bit loose, Your Highness—er, Majesty," Everild responded, reaching into her pocket. "I have a needle I can fix it—"

"I said it's fine." Elouise abruptly moved away from the looking glass and snatched the butterfly brooch from her desk.

"Your Highness! No, Majesty!" Gidget squeaked. "I was not finished with your hair..."

"I do not care." Elouise stormed out into the corridor and slammed the door behind her.

Then she closed her eyes until the fury boiling inside settled down.

"It's fine," she whispered, nodding. "You're fine..."

"It is alright to admit you're not," said Ashton, appearing across from her.

Elouise tightly closed her hands at her sides, the brooch pressing deep into her palm. She hadn't expected to hear or see him for a while, figuring he'd been offended by her outburst.

"Why would I not be?" She looked up at him. "This is my life now. One death after another as long as I am alive. Godwin will not quit until I've been sacrificed."

"We are not going to let that happen." Ashton steadily approached her. "I will not let that happen."

"So, I can keep living while those close to me continue to suffer?" Elouise shook her head and started down the hallway.

"You cannot let him win, Elouise."

"He already has." Elouise glanced over at him, relieved he wasn't following her. Once out of sight, she pressed her back against the wall and pinned the brooch onto her gown. And she bit down on her lower lip as she felt it tremble. She heard footsteps echoing yet she still flinched when Fayre addressed her.

Fayre paused halfway, her frown deepening. "Are you ready?" She sounded so forcefully bland like she was afraid using any other tone would provoke Elouise.

Everyone had been stepping carefully around her like she was some tiny glass trinket, and a single bump would send her tumbling and shattering. It was infuriating.

Thus, Elouise didn't answer Fayre. She merely pushed onward. Fayre chased after her. They went down the stairs together and through the open doors. Guards posted nearby nervously eyed Elouise. She thought they too were unsure how to react around her. However, she quickly concluded their agitation rested with the commotion occurring at the gate.

"What's this?" Fayre questioned, firmly. "What is going on?"

"Prince Edward is demanding an audience with Her Majesty," Sir Frederick announced, his eyes darting to Elouise.

Elouise tensed.

"He came for my coronation," she breathed, catching everyone's attention. She looked particularly at Fayre. "He came for my coronation."