Chapter Fifty-Four

After dropping the bowl off at the palace kitchen, Udolf walked with Elouise to her bedchamber. He side-eyed her almost the entire way there, expecting her expression to waver in any way he could use against her. She remained stoic, though.

"I certainly hope you do attend the ball," he said.

"I am not interested," she responded. "There are many other matters to attend to."

Udolf raised his eyebrows. "Such as?" Such as plotting how you will take me down? Yes, of course. What else would a former queen need to so desperately do? What else would make her mood as dour as it is?

He smirked to himself.

"It isn't anything that concerns you," she said.

"No, I understand. You wish to win your kingdom back."

Elouise paused in her step and turned to him. He did the same, softening his smile.

"I know you are not planning to stay here for the rest of your life," he added. "That would be too easy and pathetic, too. You intend to fight your way in Aristol, but you need to prepare yourself for any outcome."

Elouise widened her eyes. "Any... outcome..." She moved away from him, facing the other way.

Udolf scratched his head. "Did I say something wrong?"

"No. I need to speak with someone." She glanced back at him. "Oh, you may leave the blanket in front of my door. It is the last door on the right. Now, if you will excuse me." She scurried past him.

Udolf huffed and glared down at the blanket. "You take me for such a fool, Elouise. You always have." He did as she asked, except after taking a step away from her door, he considered something. He looked both ways before grabbing the doorknob. Would it be absolutely mad of him to search through her belongings?

He shrugged as he pushed his way inside. Then he halted immediately in the doorway and took in the sight of the room.

Everything appeared so painfully organized and clean like nobody had slept in here in weeks—or even stepped in here. He almost didn't want to touch anything. He smelled lavender and he spotted a vase filled with a fresh bouquet beside her bed. Udolf walked up to it and yanked out a piece. He brought it closer to his face and inhaled its scent.

And he sighed contently before stuffing it into the bouquet and moving away.

Udolf carefully checked every drawer he saw. All he found were jewels, hair pins, blank parchment, or nothing at all. He groaned when he rummaged through the last drawer and found a mere quill.

"Clever girl," he said, standing upright. "If you have anything, you're hiding it well." Why, of course she would. She had King Victor to be wary of.

Udolf started walking past the vanity when he noticed the brooch on top of a wooden ring stand. He took a few steps back and furrowed his brows until he realized it was the butterfly brooch.

"As I suspected," he said, snatching it, "your heart still yearns for him." He clenched his jaw and gazed out the window, imagining himself throwing the brooch out into the courtyard. Imagining a servant finding it and bringing it to King Victor who would then dispose of it without a second thought. Or, even better, gifting it to his wife who would flaunt it in front of Elouise. Now that would be funny.

"Fortunately for you, I'm not here to waste my time," Udolf said, placing the brooch back.

Without anything of use in here, he left.

As he walked through the hallways, he stopped a few servants and asked them where Elouise had gone. One of them informed him that she'd seen Elouise go into the drawing room with Prince Henry. Udolf thanked the girl and hurried onward.