Chapter Fifteen

Henry locked himself in his guest chamber as soon as he could. He didn't bother taking a moment to admire the beauty of extravagant furniture and paintings. He noticed it all, certainly, yet he hardly cared to enjoy any of it as he fell onto the colossal bed that could fit an entire family.

And it was there, as he stared up at the canopy's lilac ceiling, that he burst.

Choked sobs escaped through his lips, loud enough for anyone walking past to hear him. He didn't care. He couldn't stop it, anyway. He felt like he was lying in water, drowning, as he gasped for air in between each whimper. He couldn't fathom why everything suddenly collided into him. The moment they'd gotten off that ship and he noticed Ivy moving through the crowd to get away from him, his last bit of restraint had shattered.

And what perfect timing, too!

Henry was in the most beautiful kingdom known to everyone and he was wasting the opportunity by wallowing in his pathetic sorrows.

"Get, get... get yourself together," he chided, sniffling and inhaling shakily.

He sat up slowly and wiped his face with the sleeve of his cream-colored shirt. Although that hallow hole inside his chest remained present, the heaviness on his shoulders eased. His eyes felt tired, but relieved. And he went over to the body-length looking glass with an oval silver frame and grimaced at his reflection.

Henry leaned forward, examining his red puffy eyes, and he sighed. "I suppose I've looked worse."

Laughter coming from outside turned him toward the wide window; laughter that sounded like Ivy's. His throat tightened again. At least she was enjoying herself, though.

Henry shook his head and headed for the door. He needed air.

---
He returned to the beach they had docked beside and closed his eyes as he walked down the path of palm trees. The cool wind delicately whispered against his skin, blowing his light-brown locks away from his face. He inhaled through his nose, taking in the smells of salt and seaweed, and he listened carefully to the waves crashing over one another. It all worked wonders in calming his unsteady pulse.

When he reached the edge of the shore, he halted and stared down as the waves rolled up and washed over his boots. He spotted a sand dollar beneath and plucked it from the ground once the water withdrew and turned it over slowly, admiring the star shape on the other side.

"Prince Henry!" He recognized Alaina's voice from behind.

Henry stuffed the shell inside his pocket and turned. He hastily wiped his eyes as she approached, beaming up at him. He did his best to return the smile.

"I thought I recognized you!" said Alaina. "I was just on my way back from visiting the town with Lady Raya. Oh, I am so glad you and Elouise are here!" She clasped her hands together. "My heart shattered when she wrote telling me she couldn't make it."

Henry cleared his throat. "Yes, well, we were unsure if we could."

Alaina nodded, her elation faltering. "I am truly sorry for how things are, but I hope you enjoy yourselves here." She pointed to the ocean, her golden locks blowing everywhere. "It's so lovely, isn't it?"

Henry swallowed hard, staring out at the miles of bright blue waters. One could easily get lost within it. "Indeed," he answered softly. "I am happy for you, Lady Alaina. It must be wonderful knowing you are going to wed the love of your life in a few days."

"It is!" Her grin returned. "One day, it will be the same for you. I think you will make an incredible husband."

He wanted to laugh at that, except that would not have been proper, and perhaps even come off as rude.