Chapter Sixty-Two

"Elouise," Ashton addressed.

"Not right now, Ashton," Elouise said as she walked toward her bedchamber. "I need to be alone and think. Every step I make is crucial to ensure everything goes as planned."

"I understand, but there is something you should know."

She stopped and turned around. He did as well, yet he fidgeted in his spot.

"What is the matter?" she asked, closing the space between them. "Have the angels communicated with you?"

Ashton furrowed his brows and looked away like he was concentrating.

Elouise widened her eyes. "Are they speaking to you right now?"

"The energy here has shifted," he whispered.

"I do not like the sound of that."

"Elsie," Victor chirped.

Elouise shuddered as she watched him approach from behind Ashton. "I despise when you call me that."

"I may as well enjoy myself by angering you."

Ashton stepped aside and stood next to Elouise as he glowered at Victor. She almost wished he would show himself so she could see Victor's reaction.

"I spoke with your delinquent redhead earlier," Victor said, glancing Elouise up and down. "She suspects Maximus is as guilty as that knight of his."

"Is it not obvious?" Elouise spread out her arms. "Vincent is Maximus' most trusted companion. They were evidently working together and came up with such a ridiculous scheme so I would believe the story."

Ashton bowed his head. Elouise side-eyed him.

"Your Majesty!" someone shrieked, causing Elouise to flinch. "We are under attack!"

They looked over to find Lacy running toward them. But then she stepped on her skirt and fell forward.

Elouise gasped when she spotted three Inferum cantivat members. One of them tossed their spear through the air. Lacy hurried to her feet and screamed. The spear hurdled toward her.

Elouise pushed past Victor and raised her hand, suspending the spear before it reached Lacy's back. Lacy reached their side, and Victor pulled her behind him. She trembled as she cried into her hands.

"What are you doing?" Victor questioned.

Elouise wrinkled her nose and flipped the spear around. She flung it back toward the trio. They jumped out of the way and hid behind nearby structures. Elouise huffed. Cowards.

"You are as dangerous as they are!" Victor scolded.

"No, I can be more dangerous," she said. "Though I thought you'd rather not ask questions about it." Elouise stopped another spear and glared at the woman peeking her head out from around the corner. She released the weapon and looked back at Victor. "Goodness, Victor, do you truly lack this much wisdom? Run!"

"This is not over," he said, backing away with Lacy. Lacy held onto his arm as if her life depended on it. Elouise certainly hoped it didn't.

She stared ahead, waiting for one of them to pop out again.

"This was the energy I'd sensed," said Ashton. "They are surrounding the palace, Elouise."

"Maximus planned for them to arrive," Elouise responded. "I should have known. Everyone needs an escape route, and here is his. Unfortunately, they will not be rescuing him today." She closed her eyes and teleported to the infirmary.