Chapter Twenty-Four

In the middle of the night, Elouise stood in front of her looking glass, a flickering candlelight on the wall beside her. She brushed through her locks, examining the strands that were slightly longer and slightly shorter.

And she sighed; such a defeated sound that made her roll her eyes at her own dramatics.

"It is merely hair," she murmured, tossing the silver brush aside. "It will grow." Yet that didn't stop her from tugging at the ends and staring a little longer at her reflection with a slight ache lingering in her chest.

Elouise dragged herself back to her bed and crawled into it.

Considering everything that'd occurred, she hardly believed it'd been a single day. To make matters worse, Henry had informed her about Edward, who hadn't actually been Edward. And he'd told her as if expecting her to burst into tears. However, she hadn't felt anything. Once she'd teleported away from Ivy, she realized she didn't feel anything at all. What else was there to feel, anyway?

Then, shortly after speaking with Henry, she was approached by frantic guards telling her Edward had escaped. They cowered as if expecting her to release her fury onto them. She hadn't expected anything less, though. Godwin had freed himself and done whatever he'd done to corrupt Ivy's mind—along with the minds of others, certainly. At this point, Elouise nearly imagined Fayre coming into her bedchamber to announce that everyone had died, and they were the only two left. It truly wouldn't astonish her if that were the case.

Elouise snuggled into her pillow and stared at the twine wolf inside the parchment boat, increasing that tiny ache from earlier. She released her pillow and turned onto the other side, focusing on her window instead.

"I am a queen now," she whispered. But then she scoffed. "Quite underwhelming."

---
"If it is too early, Your Majesty, you needn't do this," Lord Browne assured her as they entered the throne room together. "I am certain it is already too much knowing that Mercia, Daisy, and Ofelia are expected to arrive at any moment today. You have not seen your ladies in so long. Therefore, may I suggest we postpone this for next week?"

Elouise gawked at him. "Postpone this? The sake of Aristol may very well depend on this. I must address the council and my soldiers. Now go and gather everyone."

"You are not doing this today," Lord Berney stated, leaving no more room for any dispute.

Elouise whirled around as he walked through the doors. "Who are you to order me around?"

"You cannot possibly do this, Your Majesty. You are grieving. Allow yourself to grieve in peace."

"Are you trying to make me lower my guard?"

"Your Majesty—"

"No! I believe I told you that once I was queen you were going to be dismissed."

A red tint painted Berney's cheeks and the tip of his pointy ears. He shook his head and chuckled nervously. "Your Majesty, I understand we have always been at odds, but there is no need—"

"At odds? Is that all you think this is? You have never shown me true respect before. I am certain you feel I am a step down from my father."

Berney widened his eyes. "That is not true, Your Majesty! You are my queen, as you should be. I merely worry about you, ever since your mother's passing, which is why I have always been so difficult—"

"Quiet it." Elouise raised her right hand, immobilizing him. "I've grown tired of your voice. I only want you to kneel before me." She forced him down onto his knees. She hadn't halted his ability to speak, though. Yet he seemed reluctant to even try. And she grinned. "That is more like it. You and everyone else will listen to what I must say if you wish—"