Chapter Thirty-One

Elouise saved every letter Udolf had ever written her. She kept them neatly stacked inside the first drawer of her desk. Beside them was a letter she'd never sent to Udolf, dated the same day as another letter she'd sent instead—the very last time she'd written him, actually. The last sentence taunted him every time he sat here and read it.

I find comfort in your presence.

Udolf snickered. Considering she'd decided against sending this, he knew those words meant nothing—a lie to entice him. That was what taunted him, though. He knew he would've fallen for it all and come rushing to her side, uncaring of any consequence of his actions. She must've known that. He'd been informed that Beatrice had used her beauty to her advantage. She'd been a wild spirit with enough confidence to know who her admirers were and pry on their emotions for her own amusement and gain. Udolf didn't doubt Elouise was the same. She'd hidden behind the guise of a kind and timid soul who wouldn't dare harm anyone, and he'd foolishly allowed himself to grow fond of that. Of her.

It made him ill at the memory. Not the finest moment of his life. Unfortunately, nobody learned to improve without mistakes along the way. Even grand ones like that one.

Udolf heard a knock at the door and stuffed the letter back into the drawer. "Who is it and what do you want? I'm busy."

"May I have a moment of your time, Your Majesty?" Mercia asked. 

"Certainly." He closed the drawer and stood as she entered. She smiled as she made her way over to him.

"I'm afraid Eldon is not interested in me," she said.

Udolf rolled his eyes. "Then why are you smiling?"

Mercia laughed and touched her chest. "Does it matter? He will be asking me to marry him, won't he? Regardless of his affections, he will be my husband, won't he?"

"Even if I must drag him to the altar, yes."

"Then I am not worried. He will be mine regardless of how he feels." Mercia leaned against the desk and hummed as she examined a dead peony in a vase.

Udolf squinted at her. "What interests you about him, anyway? I try to think what the appeal can be, but when it comes to him, nothing comes to mind." She widened her eyes, and he shrugged. "I've known him for a quite a while now."

"He is not entirely the same though. It's almost like meeting someone new." Mercia sighed and peered out the window behind him. "I first noticed him at Elouise's nineteenth birthday ball, but it was at the surprise ball for Prince Henry that Eldon truly caught my attention. He had such an allure about him. It might be because of how reserved he was. You may not see it, but he is handsome. It is not in the usual way you see with nobles, and I like that."

"I expected a shorter response than that."

"Does it disappoint you?"

Udolf looked away as he crossed his arms. He supposed he would never understand, then. Even before Eldon lost his memories, he didn't see anything special about him. He fought well with a sword, sure. Yet his skills were not extraordinary. Anyone could learn to fight just as well. If it weren't for his ability and his blood, he would be nothing. Because of both, he is seen as a precious treasure to Godwin and Inferum cantivat.

Udolf tensed when Mercia caressed his cheek. He faced her and immediately dropped his gaze to her lips as she spoke.

"I will gladly marry Eldon for the pride of being the captain's wife and having a handsome husband," she said. Then she leaned in closer and smiled deviously. "And to be closer to my king."

Udolf lowered his arms and wrapped them around her waist. "I nearly believed you wouldn't want to continue this anymore."

She brushed her lips against his and hummed again. "As if I could ever be such a fool." She lifted her eyebrows and shoved him until he plopped into the chair. Then she settled into his lap and cupped his face before kissing him fiercely.

---

A few days later, as Udolf strolled through the garden after his meal, he was interrupted.

"Your Majesty," Lord Berney addressed.

Udolf cursed under his breath but smiled when he turned around. Berney never changed a bit. At this point, it seemed the scowl on his face had become permanent.

"Ah, Lord Berney!" Udolf greeted. "To what do I owe the honor?"

"I received word that you continue to refuse my resources."

"Why, of course. I've found wine that better suits my tastes elsewhere."

"Your Majesty, I... I did as you asked. You promised you would give your business to me if I convinced everyone I knew that you are a great ruler."

"Oh, yes, thank you for that. It saved me the trouble of hearing all that banging on the gate." Udolf wrinkled his nose. "Every so often, it happens again. You can't win them all." He laughed.

Lord Berney's frown deepened, and Udolf groaned.

"Come on now, Berney. You cannot possibly be upset. I am doing you a grand favor. You work less, worry less, and do not need to stick your nose in my affairs."

"I depended on the royal family's business. Without your support, I'm losing business everywhere. People only wish to drink the same wine as their leader."

"It's not my fault people choose to be followers." However, Udolf smirked. "Oh, fine. If it makes you feel better, I will purchase from you for the rest of the month. As long as you continue to keep your word to me, I will speak highly of your wine."

Berney did not smile. He never did, so what had Udolf expected?

"Will I also return to the royal council?" Berney then asked.

Udolf shook his head. "No. You are not needed there. None of the previous members are. I have my own group of trusted people, and I've no need to change anything. Now leave before I change my mind."

Berney bowed his head and walked off. Then Udolf dropped his shoulders and exhaled slowly. He dragged himself toward the small table beneath the apple tree. More fruit was beginning to grow, glowing in the sunlight. He plucked the reddest one he saw and wiped it on his doublet only for it to be snatched from his hand a second later.

Ivy took a bite of the apple. Udolf glared at her, but that never frightened her. She finished chewing and swallowed before handing it back to him.

"That is almost as good as the news I've come to share with you," she said.

"Oh, for your sake, it better be," he said through clenched teeth.

"Eldon has exposed his magic to someone."

Udolf softened his expression. "What?"

Ivy giggled. "A few days ago, I heard a commotion. That incompetent Booker was bitten while practicing on a trollbie. Rather than letting him die, Eldon healed him. I mean, he must've! Booker is going around saying Eldon had an antidote that he got from you. But that is not true, is it?"

"No, of course not."

"I knew it! I would've gone right to Godwin with this, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask you first." Ivy clicked her tongue against the roof of her mouth as she shook her head. "You do know how strict Godwin is with that rule, don't you?"

"I do. I also know how much he protects Eldon. Even if we go to him with this, do you honestly believe he will do anything?"

"It may not be any sort of awful punishment, but I'm certain Godwin is still going to want to ensure this doesn't happen again. Wouldn't that be interesting to witness? Eldon trusts Godwin with his life. It would devastate him if Godwin were upset with him."

Ivy had a point—and Udolf despised when she did. Although, right now, he appreciated that mind of hers.

He tossed aside the apple and grinned at her. "I believe Godwin—ah, Prince Edward—is entertaining a few guests in the drawing room." He led the way, resisting the urge to run the entire way there.

A Usurper's Cause (Book #4)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें