Chapter Thirty-Seven

Eldon sat alone in the dining hall of the barracks. It smelled of musk, meat, and freshly baked bread, and it was too loud to think, but he couldn't find the strength to get up. He examined the ring in his palm for about the tenth time since he and Mercia parted ways. The stone was amazonite—a rare kind Godwin had been holding onto for years. He had it turned into a ring for Eldon to give to Mercia.

"The color reminds you of her eyes, doesn't it?" he'd said when he handed it to Eldon yesterday.

Eldon heard someone plop into the chair across from him. He looked up and frowned when he saw it was Leanne. She pointed at the ring and scoffed.

"Yer not actually gonna marry her, are ya?"

"What does it matter if I do?" he shot back.

Leanne scoffed. "Once you get yer memories back, it'll matter much."

Eldon glanced down at the ring one more time before stuffing it in his pocket. "Kinda doubt that's gonna happen."

"I try not to. I want ya to remember who ya are... who we all were to you."

"Just stop it. I'm fine the way I am." Eldon stood, and she stared up at him with a sad little look in her eyes. He pressed his lips tightly together before sitting back down.

"Part of you knows those people that brought ya back ain't yer real friends," she said. "Lately, I've noticed the way you've been 'round 'em. Like ya can't trust to turn yer back or else they might stab ya."

Eldon raised his eyebrows. He hadn't made it that obvious, had he?

"Since we were kids, we were always told to never trust the Interlopers," Leanne went on, tucking a stray curl behind her ear. "They ain't good people, 'cause their leaders have always been corrupt. Udolf ain't different. I see lots of hatred in his eyes. He believes he's had it hard all his life, doesn't he?"

Eldon didn't answer, and she sighed.

"I get if he has," she said. "It ain't easy growin' up with that kinda mindset. Still, he coulda done better. He coulda made a difference and changed the course. I thought that's what was gonna happen. Then he came to attack the castle instead."

"He just wanted rights for his people," Eldon told her, rolling his eyes.

"Don't we all?" Leanne glared at him. "Everyone in Penuriam hated the royal family for that reason, too. But none of us ever thought to come and kill so many people."

"You don't get it."

"No, you don't get it. Udolf doesn't give a shit 'bout you. Learn to accept that." Leanne got up from her seat and left him there.

Eldon slumped into his chair. "I already did."

A servant rushed over to his table and bowed his head. "Sir Eldon, His Majesty has asked that you join him in the drawing room."

"Really?" Eldon groaned. "I was gonna meet with the trainees. Is it urgent?"

"It is. He made it sound as so."

"He would make it anythin' sound like it." Nonetheless, Eldon made his way out of there.

---

Udolf and Godwin sat across from each other inside the drawing room. Everild and Gidget were standing together in front of the window. Godwin cradled a cup of tea, sipping from it occasionally. He then lowered it from his lips and smiled at Eldon.

"Come sit with us," he said, nodding toward the empty spot beside Udolf.

Eldon dragged himself over. The last time they met like this, he'd been told he needed to court Mercia. He felt a lump in his throat as he imagined Godwin questioning him about the ring. He tried his best to sit still and keep his face stoic.