13. Monaco Grand Prix

After that night, Charles and I haven't spoken to each other for the past weeks. I'm hurt. I know he tries to do the right thing, but it hurts - knowing we can never be together. But not only this is the reason I haven't talk to him. Living together with August isn't great. It challenges me in ways I never expected. I wish somebody could see what August is doing. How I suffer being with him. I cancelled every meeting and engagement. I stayed home. I didn't want to be see or talk to anyone.

I was thinking to call Charles so many times, but I couldn't. I couldn't tell him - not after that night with him. But I need it. I need him. I don't know what to do. I struggle. But today is the day I'm going to see Charles again. I can't wait to see him racing at his home grand prix. It will be my first time seeing him what he loves to do. Maybe I can talk to him. Maybe I'm brave enough to tell him what's going on.

We're at the palace when my dad walks in with a big smile, everyone curtsy or bows.

KG: They're so excited to see you again, my dear.

He puts his hands on my shoulders leaning in to my ear.

KG: Be good.

E: Sure, dad.

KG: You know I've been the one attending the Grand Prix. You'll jump into that role today since Simon got other engagements to do.

He whispers before he looks to August, who neck bows.

KG: Duke August.

DA: I'll take care of her, your majesty.

He puts his arm around my waist. I shrug together as he touches me. I don't want him to touch me.

CHARLES POV

I sit with Arthur infront of the Ferrari hospitality as a TV camera is coming next to us. Just wanting us to be in the screen not wanting to interview us. I sigh.

TV Moderator: Everyone in Monaco is excited to see the race, but not only that. The Princess of Monaco is coming with her fiance Duke August to the race for the first time ever.

When I heard she's coming today, my heart starts racing. Since they have to be more safety rules everyone is talking about her all the time. It kills me hearing her name.

Arthur: Did you finally talk to her again? After that night?

Arthur feels sorry. I told him about it. I had to talk about it with someone. He's my brother. He knows my secret.

C: No, she isn't answering her phone.

A: Take your chance today.

Arthur nods in one direction as the media is storming to the entrance of the paddock. She's coming. She's here. I finally see her again. I feel bad for her getting mobbed by the media. I wish I could protect her and not letting her run right into it like August does. They hold hands. What happened the last weeks between them? Did I fuck it up?

A: Is it just me or did she become very skinny?

I didn't even notice it and take another look on her as she walks past me. I give her a soft smile but avoids my look.

C: No, you're right.

A: She doesn't look good. You need to talk to her.

C: I fucked up, Arthur. I promised her to never hurt her but I did. She will never talk to me again.

ELISABETH POV

I tried to let go off his hand but he pulls me back to him. He squeezes my hand pretty hard while we walk through the media teams together. I put on a smile, as best as possible. I don't feel good. I want to leave. But than I see him behind the media, watching me. I see him. I see Charles. My heart starts beating faster again. I notice his smile but I can't lie to him. I try to avoid his eye contact and follow August to the paddock club where we have an exclusive suite. August closes the door behind me, leaving us alone.