29. Royal Pressure

The next day I decided to go to Charles apartment. We need to talk after I pushed him away. I feel bad. I just had to deal with this by myself. I still have the key and open the apartment door. I ask if someone is there and Arthur comes out of the living room.

A: Elisabeth, hey.

He pulls me into a hug and checks me out. He raises an eyebrow.

A: You don't look good.

E: Well, thank you. I'll take this as a compliment?

I try to laugh. I'm not even in the mood for jokes. But I can't show him.

A: Charles is not looking better. Are you two okay? He doesn't talk to us.

E: Is he here?

A: No, he went to the gym but he should be back in a few minutes. You wanna wait here?

I nod and go to sit down on the sofa in the living room. Arthur brings me a glass of water. He asks me about my first race weekend and I tell him everything. Besides the fact of the morning sickness. He enjoys my story.

C: Arth, I'm back!

I hear his voice. My heart beats faster. He doesn't know I'm here. How will he react? Charles walks into the living room while he takes off his headphones. He sees me and his jaw drops. I give him a little wave and whisper hello.

C: Elisabeth? Oh lord, thanks you're here! I thought you'll never talk to me again.

He runs to me and pulls me into a tight hug. Arthur laughs.

A: Guess that's my sign to go now.

I give him a thankful smile. Charles sits down next to me.

C: Are you okay? I'm sorry, I should've been more careful.

E: It's not your fault. We both should've been more careful.

Charles sighs relieved that I'm not that mad. He takes my hands in his and lays them in my lap.

C: I love you, princess. So much. I know we can do that. I just- I don't want to loose you. Both of you.

I swallow. He's always the cutest and most handsome boy.

E: I love you too, Cha. It's just. I don't want you to put you into something you don't want. The royalty is strict.

C: Guess that's too late now, Betty.

He winks and nudges my nose which makes me laugh. But I turn back to being serious quickly.

E: Simon knows, I told him.

C: You know I would've done this with you together?

E: Yes, but it was better that way.

C: What did he say?

E: Take a guess.

I laugh being hurt. He pulls me into a hug, feeling sorry for the reaction. A tear rolls down my cheek. I get nervous.

E: He wants me to tell Dad. I'm scared of his reaction.

He puts his hands on my cheek and kisses me gently.

C: I'm with you. I won't let you do this alone.

E: Thank you for not leaving me.

C: Princess, I don't want to live without you anymore. I won't leave you.