44. August

ARTHUR POV

Charles is currently racing. I just hang up from the phone with Simon. I can't believe this. I run to the pit wall to Mattia.

A: I need to talk to Charles!

I'm scared. I don't know what's happening right now.

Mattia: What's wrong? We're right into the race!

He looks at me confused, taking one of his headphones off to hear me better.

A: Something bad happened to Elisabeth. I have to talk to him. I'm serious.

I'm so nervous. He has to know. He would never forgive me if I wouldn't tell him. But Mattia shakes his head.

M: I'm sorry, we're fighting for the championship. He can't get distracted now.

A: Fuck!

I mumble and think about what to say. I sigh. Another try.

A: Elisabeth is in the hospital. He wants to know. He has to know.

M: I said no, Arthur!

He raises his voice on me. Getting mad.

A: Mattia! Elisabeth is-

I stop. I nearly told him.

A: Nevermind, it's just really important.

He stills says no. I thinking about what to do now. I decide to grab the headphone and press the button to go on the radio.

A: Hi Charles, it's Arthur. Sorry to tell you but Elisabeth is in the hospital.

M: Arthur!!

He wants to push me away, but Charles already replies.

C: How bad is it?

His voice shakes.

A: I don't know more, just that August had a comeback.

C: Fuck! Is- Is - well you know...

A: I really don't know Charles, I'm sorry.

A few seconds later Charles drives into the pits, apologizing to his team.

C: I'm very sorry guys. I can't race anymore.

He retires.

I run with Mattia to Charles.

M: Are you serious! Charles Leclerc!

C: My wife is my priority.

He feels bad but walks away with me. I already dial Simon's number, giving Charles my phone. He takes it, walking nervously up and down, asking about Elisabeth. I try to push the cameras away with his bodyguards.

A: Leave him alone!

Charles kicks his feet frustrated against a wall.

C: How could that happen!!! Yes... Yes, I'll flight right back.

He hangs up. His eyes are getty teary. It's not okay. Something bad happened.

A: How is Betty?

C: She collapse. She's still with the doctors. Gonna tell you the rest later, not here.

Charles looks to Chris, who also already joined us. He doesn't know more as well.

Chris: The jet is ready.

C: Okay, get my stuff from the hotel. I want to go to Monaco immediately.