#5 Sally and Athena

What Sally would think as she met Annabeth's mom, Athena; because Sally is an awesome character that I love writing about. You can take this as a Poseidon/Athena one shot if you want, but that's not the point. It's more of how different Sally and Athena are. Besides, it just popped into my head like ten minutes ago so I had to write it!

The first time Sally met Athena was the Christmas after the Giant war. Percy and Annabeth were sitting silently on the couch, sitting closely but not so it would be awkward for those around them. Paul was laughing with the satyr, Grover, and talking about saving the trees.

Sally expected Poseidon to come, so when the doorbell rang, she was not surprised. Percy looked excited to see his dad and Annabeth smiled at that. Sally stood to get the door and Percy pulled his girlfriend along as he followed his mom.

When she opened the door, Sally first saw Poseidon. He looked pretty much the same, the same Bermuda shorts and Hawaiian shirt along with a fishermans hat. He had grown out his beard more since the last time she saw him. But he wasn't smiling like normal.

Then Sally saw the woman beside him, holding herself in such a regal manner it said clearly that she didn't want to be here. Sally almost felt like a kid opening the door to two tall and intimidating adults, even though she was nearing on fifty. The woman's hair was long and dark, but her eyes were the scariest thing about her. They were grey and stormy, but looked like she was thinking of every possible way to squish you. Sally knew that gaze, Annabeth wore it during battle, and sometimes when she was upset. Athena wore a black pant suit with a grey shirt underneath.

Annabeth had stiffened and Sally could see Percy glance between the two and helplessly at his dad. Annabeth and her mother didn't break each other's gaze. Poseidon looked slightly pleased, as if he were getting what he wanted.

"Ah, my son!" He exclaimed, patting Percy's shoulder and stepping over to kiss Sally's cheek and make a face at Athena who had looked away from her daughter.

"Annabeth, I need to speak with you." Athena claimed, clasping her hands together. Annabeth stayed put for a second, showing her stubborn streak, before turning on her heel and entering the house. Athena glided after her, radiating wisdom and confidence, but also slight guilt.

"What?" Percy asked, looking extremely confused. Poseidon just laughed, walking into the house and plopping himself down next to Paul who was looking at him with wide eyes.

Sally wasn't sure if she liked Athena. The goddess seemed too serious and strict. Athena understood Annabeth, but also was slightly upset by her. Sally made sure to keep her eye on the two talking in the corner. Annabeth seemed slightly touched while Athena seemed to feel uncomfortable.

After a short time, Annabeth said something and Athena looked surprised, then said something that looked like just this once. The two hugged slightly, then fully. The mother and daughter both had slight smiles on their faces. No matter if she was a goddess, Athena still had to love her daughter.

Before the two came back, Sally saw Athena hand Annabeth something blue, and Annabeth held it in shock. But before she could react fully, Athena walked into the middle of the room and disappeared. An owl flew into the air and zoomed out of the window.

Everyone was staring, slightly shocked, as Annabeth took her seat next to Percy. Paul just looked slightly confused.

"Can you do that?" Percy asked with wide eyes. Annabeth glanced at him sideways, looking exasperated.

"No, no I can't, that would have solved the whole Tartarus issue." She reminded Percy. "Seaweed brain." She grinned, punching his shoulder. Sally noticed her slip something into her bag. A blue Yankees cap.