#31 Part 1

Percy is on the Greeks' side, Annabeth is on Kronos' side.

The wind whipped through her lemony blonde hair. The night came swiftly, the lights of New York flickering on and illuminating the sky. There were no stars, there never were. They weren't visible in the city. Annabeth had never seen them.

But deep in her mind, she saw a sunset with clouds of pink and orange. The stars were above her, the smell of strawberries in the summer heat. She felt grass tickle her neck, a hearty laugh beside her and something warm was placed over her hand.

But nothing after that. No memory of her childhood, no sense of direction in her mess of a life. What was she doing? Why did she want to fight? She could run away now....

But where? She'd never had a home, as far as she could remember (which wasn't very far) and the only place she'd ever lived was here with Luke.

Luke. With his blonde hair and mischievous blue eyes, he was one of the most handsome boys she'd met-

Yeah, right. A voice scoffed in her head. The voice that had haunted her all her life. Her own voice. It resonated in the night air, but all was silent. She didn't know why it was there, maybe a mark of her memories before she lost all recognition of her past.

Luke had found her, he'd said, nursed her to health. That was why they were going against the gods, because they'd attempted to kill her. They'd dumped her in the River Lethe to get revenge off of Luke, her boyfriend.

The name was sour in Annabeth's mind, but she ignored it. She knew she liked Luke, he was okay. But still, it seemed wrong. There were traces in her mind, something telling her to not trust him, but she ignored it.

"Annabeth?" A voice asked behind her. She turned, looking at Luke's passive face. He smiled, the scar wrinkling on his cheek, "I've been looking for you. It's almost lights out, big day tomorrow." He put his hands on her waist and brought her close.

"Just thinking." She assured him.

"You think a lot lately," (No kidding, she thought) Luke noted, "What do you think about?"

Annabeth hesitated, putting her hands to his chest to separate them slightly, "Stuff," She said, pretending she was checking her watch. Luke chuckled, getting the message and taking his hands off of her waist.

"Right. Goodnight, Anna Banana." He backed up, lifting his hand in goodnight. Annabeth smiled.

"Goodnight, Luke." She said, looking away. When he left, her smile faded away and she looked over the city once more, her eyes drifting over the sky as she wondered if she'd ever get to see the stars again. After all, she could very well die tomorrow.

She turned her back on New York, following Luke into the stairwell leading to the bunks.

///

One year...

That's how long it's been since Annabeth Chase died.

Did that stop it from burning into his mind, her name seared into his memory? Did that stop him from flinching whenever he saw someone with grey eyes? Did that stop him from wanting to cry every time someone called him "Idiot" or "Seaweed Brain"? No, it didn't.

Everyone wondered if Percy Jackson would ever get over her. If he'd stop having a stony expression every time they talked about the war. Most of them said he'd get over it, but a fair few knew that that was impossible.

As he stared at the sky, the stars burning brightly above Long Island Sound, Percy wondered if he'd get his revenge tonight. They were headed to New York, where they suspected Luke and his crew were based.

Luke.

The Devil who wears sandals and cargo shorts.

He was the one to rub it in Percy's face that Annabeth had been murdered. He'd gotten in the boy's face and described how the blood ran down her face until she choked her last breath and went limp. Percy, previously standing still in shock, had tried to attack him. Luke had other plans, instead disappearing into oblivion so that his little minions could handle Percy. They were dead now, obviously.

That image still haunted his every dream. He'd wake up shivering and crying, paralyzed as the picture faded like a pebble dropped into water. It was still there, always, edging him on, but it was buried deep within, causing a ripple with every move.

Percy brought his hand to his throat, touching the set of beads that hung underneath his shirt where no one could see. Six beads more than his own were on it, a talisman of why he was fighting this war. A flare in the night. Grey eyes. Blonde hair. Grey eyes. Blonde hair. Grey... Eyes.

Percy swallowed, forcing his own eyes closed as he took a deep breath. The grass behind him rustled, and he looked behind him to see the sympathetic brown eyes of his mentor. Chiron placed his hand on Percy's shoulder.

"It's time. One last meeting, I promise." He said, looking at Percy softly. The boy nodded, though groaning on the inside.

"I'll be there. Give me... Give me five minutes."

"I know it's the anniversary of... Of her death, Percy... But this is important. We must convince the Ares Cabin-"

"I know, Chiron. I know. I just need to be alone, if that's okay."

The centaur sighed, wiping his face on the inside of his "My other car is a centaur" tee shirt. He nodded.

"I understand. The meeting will start in five minutes."

When Percy was alone again, he watched the sky. The stars were there, burning brightly. Camp was one of the only places you could see the stars, since thick rain clouds (and clouds in general) never passed over it. There weren't that many lights, unlike the rest of New York, so they had the privilege of watching the stars at night.

With a sigh, Percy turned his back on New York, and headed towards the Big House.

///

Part 2 coming soon! My phone lags when I write over 1000 words 😜, I have to split up the parts.