Project Percabeth #2

If you don't remember Project Percabeth, it's a series of one shots I'm doing where the rest of the Seven tries to get Percy and Annabeth together.

Project Percabeth: Excuses

"We're just friends!"

"Ew, he's disgusting and annoying."

"She's got a boyfriend!"

"He's stupid!"

Excuses, excuses. Jason rolled his eyes as he recounted each of them. Anytime someone said something about Percy and Annabeth getting together, the two would immediately fire back with a volley of excuses.

It was so obvious that the two liked each other. Whether in their actions or the way they constantly flirted, it was undeniable. Now, it was just a matter of getting them to admit it.

Jason had known Annabeth the longest, but she'd always kind of scared him so he wasn't really that close to her. But Percy and he had a sort of friendly rivalry going on, so he was closer to him. He'd use that to finally get them together.

He almost rubbed his hands together maniacally, but decided against it.

Jason thought about telling the other guys about his plan, but immediately brushed that thought away. This was a one man job, he had to go in alone.

Percy's dorm room was like a battlefield. It was littered with mines (Stale pizza that Jason almost stepped on several times) and obstacles (Mountains of dirty clothes that he just about had to jump over.)

"Percy?" Jason maneuvered around a toppled-over chair. There was a grunt from somewhere in the room, and his eyes narrowed. "You okay?" He asked, wondering what had happened.

"I'm fine, tired. Very tired." Percy's sleep-deprived voice came from under some blankets. Jason sighed at his cousin's laziness and stooped over, pulling back the blankets slowly. You know, in case the boy wasn't dressed or something. Which would have been insanely awkward.

He had clothes on, thank the gods, but they were wrinkled and dirty. Jason knew exactly why too.

Exams. He shuddered just thinking about what he'd end up having to go through the next year, when he went to college.

"Hey, bud. You okay?" Jason squatted beside him, wrinkling his nose at the stench. Percy groaned, pulling the blankets over his head again.

"I said I'm tired. Leave me alone to study and cry all over my textbooks." His voice was very muffled, and Jason almost didn't hear it.

"Come on, man!" Jason sighed, "Alright, I'll be back in an hour, okay?" He peeled back the cover again so he could look Percy in the eyes. It surprised him that the boy didn't actually look tired. His eyes were wide open and they darted about. He was hiding something.

"Okay, leave." Percy said, and he pulled the blanket over himself again. Jason stood, his eyes narrowing, and looked around the dorm. A crazy grin spread over his features when he got a sudden idea. His eyes were fixated on the window that was centered on the wall in front of him. He willed the wind to cause a strong gust across the campus, and his smile grew wider when he saw that he was correct. Someone stood outside the window, and he could feel their presence against the wind.

"Fine, bro, I'm going." Jason raised his hands, traversing over the mountains of clothes. He backed towards the door, opening it wide.

Then he dived behind an armchair, using the wind to slam the door closed. It would be horrible if his inkling was incorrect, but he had a feeling it wasn't.

There was complete silence for a good ten seconds before he heard movement. He leaned out slightly, looking around the room. Percy had gotten up and was dusting his clothes off.

He went over to the window and opened it, poking his head out. "Psst!" He looked around more.

"Move your fat head!" Someone whispered.

"Sorry!" Percy backed up, stuffing his hands in his pockets. Jason waited for the big reveal, but saw nothing. Instead, Percy shut the window after a few seconds.

Then, the air shimmered. Jason's eyes widened as someone suddenly appeared, someone he knew. Annabeth, standing there in her college sweater and jeans. Her blonde hair was down, and her grey eyes were flaming.

"Couldn't you have hurried up?" She pouted, and picked a leaf from her hair, "A big gust of wind almost pushed me off of the ledge. Which would have been quite a tumble." She looked back to Percy.

"Sorry! He wouldn't leave!" The boy shrugged, "At least you brought your cap. And that Athena gave it back the powers. Otherwise, people would have been suspicious as to why you were standing on a window ledge at 8 p.m."

The two ended up sitting down, leaning their backs against Percy's bed. They elapsed into an awkward silence, in which Jason wondered what was happening. He didn't have to wander long.

"Are you sure about it?" Percy asked, "That's a big thing."

"It's a good opportunity, Percy." Annabeth whispered, reaching over to take his hand. His head bowed.

"It's a long way away. What about Chrys?" He asked.

"Chrys has nothing to do with this." The blonde said.

"He's your boyfriend." Percy said quietly.

"Not anymore. He was... He was pushy, Percy. He wanted to, um..." She looked away, like she was embarrassed. Percy still looked confused.

"He wanted to what?" He asked.

She had a doubtful expression, as if she wasn't sure if her friend was being serious. "To take things further than I was comfortable with." She said quickly. Immediately, Percy looked murderous. Jason felt the same way, no one was going to disrespect one of the girls like that, but it was lesser than what Percy was probably feeling.

"He what?" He snarled.

"Nothing happened," Annabeth assured, "But I just knew that that was all he cared about. Just like all boys."

Percy looked genuinely hurt, but said nothing.

"Anyway, I need to get away for a while." She sighed, "They want me to be there by next week."

"Next week?" Percy asked, alarmed, "That's not... You can't... That's too soon!" He exclaimed.

"It pays good, they provide a place for me to live-"

"I'll come with you." Percy said.

"To Athens?" She raised her eyebrows.

"I'd follow you to the moon if you wanted me to, Wise Girl. When are you going to realize that?" Percy chuckled awkwardly. Annabeth was quiet, then she laid her head on his shoulder.

"Friends wouldn't do all of that." She noted.

"We've never really been just friends, have we?" His voice was low, barely audible.

Jason cursed that the only light on in the room was a dim lamp. He wished he could see their expressions clearly as they looked at each other. Anticipation was all around him.

"No, we haven't." She replied.

When Percy kissed her, Jason felt success, which seemed weird. Then he felt awkwardness, as he realized he was intruding on a private moment. The two were still kissing, and suddenly Jason realized that his plan wasn't very thought through. Hurrying, he pulled out his emergency phone and turned it to mute. He sent a text to Nico.

In seconds, the boy was right beside him and had grabbed his arm. But before that, he whispered; "You interrupted my date. This story better be good." And they shadow travelled away.

As soon as they were gone, Percy and Annabeth jerked away, eyes wide.

"Was that-" He started.

"Shadow travel-"

"Oh gods, no."

"Run. Before the rest of them come and ambush us."

Running didn't help.