#26

Just a short Sally One Shot. Percy's Homecoming.

My heart was beating so quickly, I was pretty sure I was having a heart attack. The door in front of me, clearly marked with my apartment number, was almost taunting. How long had it been since I'd seen my mother? Counting the months I was asleep, it must be nearing a year. And still, the war wasn't over. Annabeth and I dropped by my mother's apartment, and the only thing keeping me from turning and running away right now was her soft hand in mine.

"Knock..." Annabeth instructed softly when I still didn't move. I took a shuddering breath, my fist raising towards the door as I swallowed, "Percy, we don't have much time. She's your mother, she loves you, she won't be mad."

That was Annabeth, always knowing exactly what to say in order to extinguish my fears. I gave her a grateful smile, then turned to knock on the door. Three times, then we waited with bated breath.

The door swung open to reveal my mother. She wore a blue bathrobe, her brown hair in a messy bun, her eyes had bags underneath them, and she wore the bunny slippers I got her last Christmas as a joke. We never really celebrated Christmas, besides the presents and seeing friends and such.

Her eyes immediately filled with tears as she stood in shock, completely still. But her eyes still looked me over, taking note of every bruise and scar, then she looked over at Annabeth, who poked me in the back so I would step forward.

"Mom?" As soon as she heard my voice, my mother wrapped me in her arms, her shoulders shaking with sobs. I hugged her, and I have to admit, I got a little teary-eyed. We stood there for a moment until she stopped crying, then she pulled away with red eyes, smiling broadly.

"Percy... Where-" Then she shook her head, stepping backwards and into the apartment, "Come in, and explain everything you can to me."

I did, watching as her eyes lit up with excitement when I described meeting new friends at the Roman camp, and when I skipped over the part about Annabeth and I seeing each other again, she gave me a knowing smirk that made me turn red.

"My baby!" She put her hand on my cheek and I leaned into her touch, happy to have my mom back again. I laid my hand on hers and she looked down at my arm, her eyes widening. Annabeth grinned.

"A tattoo?" She exclaimed, and I looked down at my SPQR tattoo in shock, looking over at Annabeth who had started smirking. I mouthed help at her.

"The Romans do it, mom-"

"If the Romans started jumping off of cliffs, would you as well?" Annabeth and I stiffened, "Oh gods, you actually jumped off a cliff, didn't you?"

I reluctantly told her of Tartarus, noticing that Annabeth was staying quiet and looking out the window the entire time. I knew she felt guilty, I'd have to talk to her about that.

Finally, my mom dried her eyes with a tissue and looked between Annabeth and I. I wondered if she knew that we were dating, but I doubted it. I don't think Annabeth would come up to my mom, hey! Your son and I are dating! Also, he's been missing for the past few weeks. Sorry!

"Mom, I... I'm sorry..." I finally said, taking her hand in mine. My large hand swallowed hers, and I flinched when I noticed the grey hairs in my mother's hair, and the worry-lines on her face.

"Oh, Percy," She wrapped her arms around me again and I felt like a little boy, about to collapse into his mother's arms screaming and crying, "I love you, it's not your fault."

"I love you too, mom." Annabeth looked at me, her eyebrows scrunching together.

"They're here." She nodded out the window, and I saw the Argo II making its way back towards us. Thankfully, we had been allowed this hour to talk to my mom before charging into battle, since Octavian had blocked all ways in. We just had to wait it out, but apparently now the legion's guard was down.

"We had to go mom," I said reluctantly, standing up. My mom stood as well, hugging me, and Annabeth as well, tightly.

"I understand." She said, and I nodded to Annabeth who said goodbye to my mom and rushed out to the Argo II. My mother gave me a knowing look.

"So, where are you too going?" She grinned. I rolled my eyes, "Another date?" There it was, the running joke that Annabeth and I were dating. It used to embarrass me, but now I saw it as an opportunity to tell my mom the truth without it being awkward.

"Yes mom, we're going out on a date." And I kissed her cheek, laughing at her shocked expression as I left the apartment, rushing after Annabeth.