Lucky I'm In Love With My Best Friend

Headcannon/One Shot. Percabeth isn't together, but its known that Percy and Annabeth like each other. Awkward!Percy, Semi-Confident!Annabeth

The Hermes kids held a Truth or Dare match on the beach. Percy attended, just like most other campers besides the Athena cabin and most of the Ares cabin. The Athena kids because 'They had better things to do than sit around and become embarrassed' and the Ares kids because it was stupid and they wanted to beat up the Athenians. (Didn't work out so well in their favor)

One of the newer campers asked Percy truth or dare, to which he replied truth. They asked him who his best friend was, and he immediately replied 'Annabeth'. The campers exchanged glances before making kissing noises.

"Ew guys! Shut up!" He was bright red. Not two turns later Connor dared him. And the dare was to kiss his crush.

Little did they know, Aphrodite was helping them along with this. He couldn't just kiss a random girl in the circle, he had to kiss his actual crush.

One shot.

Percy's hands were sweaty as he glanced around the group with wide eyes.

"What?" He asked, his voice cracking. Travis snickered, smirking at his brother.

"Go kiss your crush." He said, shrugging. Percy glanced around the circle, thinking maybe he could get out of it by kissing a girl on the cheek. But instead, he stood. His legs working of their own accord.

No one followed him, thankfully, as he stepped onto the grass again, his feet covered in sand. Maybe they thought he'd given up.

Or maybe they knew already.

Percy shivered at that thought, he barely even knew who he was crushing on. Though, he had a sneaking suspicion that...

He shook his head.

He paused in the middle of the courtyard, his heart pounding. He wasn't sure where to go. But apparently his legs did, because he marched straight forward.

To the door of the Athena cabin.

Percy's eyes widened and he grabbed one of the pillars, his legs pulling him towards the door. He grappled at the stone, and saw Clarisse give him a knowing smirk as she walked up from the beach where she'd been checking out all the racket.

His sweaty palms betrayed him, and he stumbled backwards through the door and onto the floor. Silence. The door hit the wall then swung back so that it was almost closed.

"Percy?" He heard a voice say. Percy kept his face buried in the floor, hoping and praying that he wouldn't have to... Well, he'd like to... But she wouldn't, and that was what mattered. He annoyed her, she was not attracted to him.

"Are you okay?" He heard a creak and then footsteps coming closer to him. He bit his tongue, rolling his head over to the side.

Annabeth stood next to him, her arms crossed and a confused, if slightly concerned, look plastered on her face. Percy slowly stood, looking at his sandy feet.

"Yeah." He said, not meeting her eyes. Annabeth was quiet for just a heartbeat, then she reached out and touched his shoulder.

"Why are you here then?" She asked, raising an eyebrow. Before Percy could do anything, he'd flung his arms around her.

And kissed her.

He pulled away almost immediately, looking at her wide eyes and shocked expression.

"I... Sorry." Then he sprinted out, practically beating himself over the head.

Annabeth stood in shock for a moment, then looked towards where Malcolm was sitting on his bunk with a knowing expression. She cleared her throat.

"What the Hades?" Was all she said. Malcolm rolled his eyes.

"You might want to check on him." He suggested, "Else, he might die of embarrassment."

He'd seen the rejected look on Percy's face. He had always known.

"Right." Annabeth nodded, opening the door. Malcolm smirked once more.

"Might want to make sure you're not going to pass out, as well." He called.

"Shut up."

///

Percy was adamantly telling himself that it wasn't real.

He didn't kiss her. She didn't freeze. She didn't keep her eyes open.

No.

None of that happened.

He watched the waves from where he sat, overlooking the water, on a large rock that jutted from the sand, shaded by trees. The Truth or Dare game had wrapped up, and now he was alone.

The water churned below him, matching his disbelieving mood.

Sure, he liked her. He always had, really. Sure, she was annoying, but she was smarter than him. And very pretty. He remembered thinking that the first time he saw her.

Of course, people changed over the years. He and Annabeth became closer, so it was rare that they kept things from each other. They both matured, became comrades in battle, their looks... Well, at least Annabeth's looks matured. She was more than just pretty now, she was freaking beautiful. And Percy? He was just little ol' Percy.

So what if he had a crush on her? It didn't change their friendship, right? They were best friends and....

Oh gods... What if he ruined it?

Percy brought his knees to his chest and looked out over the sea with wide eyes. What if he made her hate him? What if she's disgusted now? It wasn't like he was a good kisser, in fact, that was his first kiss. It wasn't hers, he knew, when she was younger she'd kissed a Hermes boy on a dare. They'd had a two-week fling, apparently. She'd told him. She was comfortable enough to tell him that when he could barely tell her good morning without blushing.

Oh gods....

Percy was so caught up in his thoughts that he didn't notice Annabeth walking towards him until she sat down next to him. She touched his shoulder to get his attention and he jumped.

"Annabeth? How long have you been here?" He asked worriedly.

"I just sat down, Percy. Did you not notice?" She raised her eyebrows. Percy's face felt warm but he said nothing. They were both silent for a few seconds, "Is there... Is there something you want to say to me?" She asked quietly. A sharp pang went through Percy's heart and he looked down. She wanted an apology. He was that bad of a kisser.

"I'm sorry, I thought-"

"Seaweed Brain." She rolled her eyes, "I don't want you to apologize." Percy looked over, confused.

"What-" He didn't get to continue because she'd put her hand on his cheek and her lips brushed against his. After that, his mind was pretty much completely fried.

He ended up with his arms wrapped around her, her arms around his neck. They kissed until they were in desperate need of oxygen and they had to pull away. Percy leaned his forehead on hers.

"I like you." He said sheepishly. Annabeth scoffed at him, but still smiled.

"I like you too, Seaweed Brain."