#9 Another Alternative

The only times I think it would have made sense for Percabeth to get together is in BoTL and TLO for obvious reasons, so I'm going to do ANOTHER of these writing out how they could have gotten together in BoTL!!! It's in Mt St Helens! Kinda sad, sorry, but it gets better. Warning, kinda long and I wrote this at like midnight so it's kinda crappy at first. I wrote the second half of it while I was actually fully awake, so maybe it's better!

She kissed him.

Percy would later describe it as shocking that she'd kissed him, but right then, his brain had short circuited. The kiss wasn't short or long, but Percy thought she'd pulled away too quickly.

He had thought before that she was pretty, beautiful even, and he kinda had a little crush on her, though he'd never admit it. He pulled her back and kissed her again, not caring that they were in imminent danger.

"I'm staying." She said shortly when they pulled away. He hadn't expected that, but was too fuzzy in his head to argue. She could take care of herself. Annabeth put on her invisibility cap but since they were still close, Percy could feel her presence. They both stood. He wanted to be able to see her, but knew that the cap would keep her safe.

He wished he'd forced her to leave...

///

Percy
He stepped off the raft, automatically going towards the sounds of speaking. He had to find her. That was all he could think of as he was on Ogygia. Annabeth had to be alive.

As he stepped towards the sounds, everything went silent. Malcolm and Beckendorf stood on the stage, Beckendorf talking about how brave Percy was. It was his funeral.

"He was a great friend..." The boy cut off and stared wide eyed at the figure in the doorway.

Percy first person (Whoops, I started writing in 3rd person!)
I was looking at the crowd as I tried to find her. Everyone was hugging me, asking me where I went, but something was wrong. I glanced at Malcolm, who had a hard look on his face. He was angry.

In his hands was a beautiful burial shroud. Grey with owls patterned onto it in black. The sight of it made my heart stop. Malcolm was gripping it so tightly, it looked like it would rip. His eyes were filled with unshed tears.

Child of Athena's Final Stand

I sunk to the floor. It wasn't real. While I had been eating berries and stew, resting on the beach and in meadows, chatting with a girl on a luxury island, Annabeth was dead.

I remembered how it felt when she kissed me and my heart squeezed. Someone was stabbing me repeatedly through the chest with a cold knife. Everyone gave me space, Chiron coming over.

"Percy... We thought you were dead..." He tried to explain. My eyes were trained on Malcolm as he stormed over to me.

"Why didn't you save her?" The tone of his voice was angry. I knew Annabeth was closest to Malcolm over all her siblings, I knew he was mad. All I could do was sit there, grief apparent in every atom of my body. I remembered this from losing my mom, but it was worse than that. I didn't have any hope.

"You're the reason she's dead." Malcolm was openly crying now. "Child of Athena's final stand, huh?" He lunged at me, but Chiron caught his arm and towed him backwards.

"Now is not the time. Percy, please come with me." Even Chiron looked beat up. Bags were under his red rimmed eyes. He'd practically raised Annabeth.

Even thinking her name hurt. She was my best friend. Maybe... Maybe more, after the kiss in the volcano, but I'd never see her again.

I obeyed Chiron and followed him numbly towards the Big House. He sat me down on the couch and paced in front of me. He talked about Ogygia, and I numbly nodded in response. He sighed.