chapter 2: Debra / edited

"Hey everyone!" Miss Lovato's voice fills our ears as we walk into the classroom. Time for our English class. It takes a while before the classroom is filled and Demi is seated on her desk as she waits for everyone to walk in. She mumbles everyone's names as they walk in.

"Miss, what are you doing?" Jamie asks, always trying to bond with teachers so she can distract them from actually teaching. "I'm super terrible at remembering names, it sucks. I remember like 3 right now". She says desperately as she runs her hand through her hair. "Trust me, you're not the only teacher who has that struggle." "Oh yeah, remember when Mr Crawford called me Debra for like 2 semesters?" I say, receiving a laugh from my friends.

"Let us help you learn the names. I'm sure the others won't mind the class be postponed for a bit." Jamie says, a slight grin on her face. Demi chuckles and shrugs. "Sure. The sooner I know the names, the sooner I know who the troublemakers are". She raises her eye row playfully at Jamie, who starts laughing.

After 20 minutes of desperately trying to match 25 names to 25 faces in Demi's head, she's confident enough for us to test her on her knowledge. "Okay, so just go down every row and tell us their names".

She starts off well. "Ryan and Jake. Rosie and Madison. Jenna and Trent. Helen and..." She carefully drops her head on the desk. "Ffffrick". Demi says, almost slipping a curse word on her first day which honestly just makes me like her more and more. "It's Britney. Also where you said Jake, it's actually Jack and it's not Jenna but Haley. But, you're getting there".

"Okay, just try our names then". Madison suggests, meaning us 4. "Madison, Chloe, Jamie and Daisy". She says confidently. We applaud her as she pads her own shoulder. "We're the most fun anyway, the other names don't really matter". Demi chuckles and rolls her eyes at Jamie's comment.

"We only have like 15 minutes left or so, let's just sit this one out and start up next time. First days are for getting used to the TL lights and teachers anyway, I won't put you guys through homework and all of that right from the start.."

We applaud her again which makes her chuckle. "Keep up the work Miss, you're at the top of our favorite teacher list right now". Jamie says. "That's because we've had like two different teachers so far today". I say. "Are you saying I'm not worthy of a place on your favorite teacher list, Debra?" Demi says and she immediately receives another applause from Jamie, Madison and Chloe.

"She roasted you and you deserved it" Jamie says, patting my shoulder. I laugh and look up at Demi. "I guess I did". And, then she winks. Again? It catches me off-guard and quickly focus my eyes on something else. Which is stupid because it's just a tiny damn wink.

"No, Daisy, I don't have to be your favorite teacher. You can prefer whoever you want". "No, you're up there, don't worry". I say, smiling. "That Debra joke lost you some points but I'll keep you updated".

Class goes by and when the bell rings we start packing our stuff. "Honestly if English class is gonna be like this every time, you'll be at number 1 on all of our favorite teacher lists in no-time". Jamie says, sweeping her bag onto her back. "Wouldn't you guys like that?" Demi says getting out of her chair to walk the remaining students out of the room.

"Let me know if there's any cooler teachers out there that are trying to take my place. I'll tell you guys some dirty lies about them that will make you dislike them so I can reign". "Well, obviously Daisy is like besties with Mr. Crawford so I'd try your hardest to beat that number 1 spot". Jamie says, putting both her hands on my shoulders.

"It'll be hard to beat that, but I'm gonna do the most". Demi says, with a grin on her face. I chuckle and we leave the classroom. "Bye Miss, see you tomorrow!" "Bye girls!" And right before I turn my eyes away from her..

Another fucking wink.

____

Comment & Vote (: