Chapter 9: Or girlfriends? / edited

"So, is that your boyfriend, Ms?" I ask, while the guy she's with and Jamie are zoned out talking about their favourite band. She chuckles. "No, definitely not. Those years are over." "Oh-" "And please, again, call me Demi. We're off school." She says while giving me a playful shoulder push. 

I'm too nervous to ask her what she meant by 'those years are over', but it's pretty much the only thing on my mind right now. Does she mean, 'those years are over' because she's married to him now? Or does she mean because she is his ex? Or because she does not have boyfriends anymore, but girlfri-

"I've been running into you quite a few times now, huh?" She interrupts my stream of consciousness with her question and I feel myself being taken aback. "Uh- yeah. Crazy, right?" "I would almost think you're doing it on purpose.." I look at her to see if she's serious, but she has a wicked smirk on her face and there's a certain sparkle in her eyes that gives her away. She sips from her beer.

"Oh, and why would I, Ms. Lovato?" I ask. She chuckles. "Hm, maybe someone's just really interested in whether I'm single or not." She winks. Oh my god. Is this flirting? Is she flirting right now? I think she notices my puzzled look. "He's my ex-boyfriend. We dated years ago. With emphasis on years." 

I try to subtly release a nervous breath. "Mystery solved then. Are you seeing anyone right now?" I ask, instantly worrying if it's a weird question, coming from me. "Not really. I just got over a pretty serious relationship about half a year ago, so nothing serious no." I nod and take a sip of my drink. 

"And you? Any boyfriends? Or girlfriends?" My cheeks instantly get hot and I start to get fidgety. "Oh-uh- N-no, not really, actually." She nods. "Seems like they're getting along well.." I say, beckoning my head towards Jamie and the guy. They're laughing together, and we've pretty much disappeared if it were up to them. 

"He's going to murder me when he finds out how old she is." Demi says, a slight chuckle in her voice. I grin and turn away from them. "How long has it been since you guys dated?" I ask, it being the only thing I can think of to ask. She makes a thinking face. It's really cute. I try to hide my smile by taking another sip from my beer. 

"Honestly, I think about 8 or 9 years ago, Oliver and I were high school sweethearts, but we literally broke up the summer after graduation. I think we both realised it was just the insecurity of being a pubescent teen that made it work between us. We weren't as compatible as boyfriend and girlfriend as we thought." I nod my head. "So cool that you guys remained friends." 

"It took us a while to get over the petty break-up but now we're really good friends, yeah. I'm glad we aged, haha." She sips her drink and observes the empty cup now in her hands. "I'm offering you one more drink and then I'm going home." She says, eyebrows raised. "Uh- yeah, thanks." 

The bar is a lot less crowded now, so she's back in no-time. "Here you go." She gives me the beer, and I gradually take it from her. "Thank you." 

"So, how's school going so far?" She asks, clearly also running out of things to talk about with her student. But she does seem genuinely interested. "Oh- well, it's going okay. I'm getting good grades overall, but I'm struggling with geography a bit. It's always been my downfall. And it doesn't help that the teacher despises me." She chuckles. 

"If you ever need any help, I supervise a homework club after school. It's mostly for people who need help fitting homework into their schedule, but there's a kid there who's really good at Geography. Maybe she could help you out." I nod my head. "Sounds good, I'll think about it." 

We chat about nothing until we finish our beers, and then Demi looks at the time. "Alright, Olly, it's time to head out." She says. "How are you girls getting home?" She asks Jamie and I. "I'll call my dad to see if he can pick us up. He could be asleep though.." Jamie says, as she grabs her phone out of her pocket. "I'll give you a ride home."

"Really? It's alright, our parents probably won't mind picking us up." "I'm already driving home, so I really don't mind bringing you girls home safe." She says. "Thanks Demi." Jamie says, smiling. 

We head out and Jamie and I follow Demi and Oliver to Demi's car. When there's a little distance between us and them, Jamie elbows my side. "Okay, I wasn't eavesdropping but I definitely saw you blush a couple times back there." Jamie says quietly. 

"Could say the same about you." I say, and she grins at me. "You know, he's the guy she was with when I saw her in that restaurant last time. Apparently he's her ex, but they're long over and good friends now." "Hmm, so he's available.." Jamie says. I give her a shoulder nudge before we close in on Demi and Oliver. 

Demi drops us off at our homes and we say goodnight. As soon as I close the front door behind me, the nerves start to wear off and I feel like I can think again. 

_

comment & vote