Chapter 20: Next one's on me / edited

School is out. Two weeks of Christmas break are starting right now. 

Jamie and I linger in the hallways of the school, talking about our plans for the upcoming weeks. "So, you can sleep over from the 24th til the 26th. My mom's absolutely fine with you staying for Christmas, she asked me if you could text her about any allergies or anything." 

"I love Mary, thanks again, I really appreciate it." I smile while getting the last of my stuff, and close my locker. "You wanna go get some coffee?" I ask, while we walk out the school. "I think I gotta head home, my mom's leaving tomorrow and she wants me to be home." "Alright, that's okay." 

I walk Jamie to her car and we hug goodbye. "See you!" She beeps her horn when she passes me and I head to the coffeeshop.

The air's really cold, even for LA weather. I bury my head in my scarf and pick up my pace. The warm airconditioning blows in my face as soon as I enter the coffeeshop. I take a while to look at the menu. 

I'm incredibly ready for Christmas break to start. I've been working really hard in school, and I'm ready to wind down. I've planned out my study schedule for when midterms are close, and I'm pretty confident about them so far. 

I've sunk into my thoughts, until I feel a tap on my shoulder. I turn around and see Demi behind me. Her cheeks are red from the coldness outside. "Oh, hi Demi." I say. "Also celebrating the two weeks off?" I nod. 

"I'm kind of a sucker for Christmas, so I'm really excited that it's getting closer." I say. "I love Christmas, my house is decorated to perfection, if I say so myself." I chuckle. "My mom's like that too. She has decorated everything there is to decorate in and outside of our house." "Nice." 

I look back at the menu. "What are you getting?" She asks. "I'm just gonna go for a latte I think." "Nice, so am I." She steps up to the register and the barista comes over. "Two lattes to go for Demi, please." "Oh, you don't have to-" "It's alright." She swipes her creditcard and we walk over the collection area. 

"My sister got me a coffee machine for Christmas last year, but I still get coffee to go almost everyday, it's terrible." I chuckle. "They just put something different in your drink at coffeeshops." "Yeah, definitely."

After a while, the barista calls out Demi's name and she hands us our coffees. "You really didn't have to pay for that." I say, while make our way out of the coffeeshop. "Don't worry about it honey, it's on me." 

We walk out and I feel the tension rising. Before I realise, I open my mouth. "Next one's on me then." I feel my heart stop in my chest. That was so inappropriate, I can't believe I said that. I look at Demi, and I can tell she's taken aback. 

"Alright, I'll hold you to that." I let out a nervous sigh. "Alright, enjoy your break, bye!" I say, before speeding to my car. "Bye Daisy, see you around." 

When I arrive at my car, I get in as quickly as possible and when I slam the door behind me I just let out a loud scream. What the fuck was that? Why did I literally flirt? I drop my face on the steering-wheel and make the horn go off. 

I. Need. A. Break. 

the next chapter's gonna be a long and special one so prepare!!!