11

Naruto left the Hokage's office feeling very overwhelmed by the events that had occurred. Itachi wasn't a criminal?? He didn't massacre his clan for unjust reasons? Naruto needed time to process this information. After all, this meant he'd have a whole new perspective on things. Itachi killed everyone but his brother due to a planned coup led by his own father against the Hokage. He didn't know what to think. And to top it all off, the Chunin exams were upcoming soon enough anyway.
"Naruto kun?" He heard the shy voice of Hinata and he immediately brightened. Hinata always made him smile. He didn't know why.
"You are such an idiot... I sometimes wonder why you are even in the ANBU..." he heard Kurama's comment in his mind. He frowned, slightly. What was Kurama seeing that he wasn't?
"Hinata!" He called out. He ran over to her and grabbed her hand. She blushed from the contact and looked down, trying hard not to faint.
"I wanna show you something! Let's go, dattebayo!" He said happily. He ran with her down the street towards the Hokage monument. They were giggling and laughing like little children and Naruto couldn't have wanted it any other day. Being with Hinata really took a lot of stress off of his shoulders. They giggled as they ran down the street, ignoring the odd looks of passing civilians and their fellow Genin. Even Hinata, caught up in the moment, didn't take notice of any of the glares aimed at her from the numerous fan girls of Naruto. They reached the base of the huge mountain. Naruto looked at her.
"Do you trust me?" He asked gently. She felt her heart beating faster. Hinata blushed and nodded. Naruto gave her a smile. It was completely different to any smile that Naruto had ever shown on his face before. Naruto let go of Hinata's hand momentarily before he scooped her up, carrying her bridal style as he gathered his chakra and jumped. Normally, no normal Genin or even Chunin would have the precise chakra control nor the necessary chakra to be able to jump from the base to the top of the Hokage heads, but Naruto was no ordinary ninja. He landed gently, disputed the large amount of chakra used to push off from the ground. They had arrived on top of the fourth Hokage's head.

"Hinata..." Naruto breathed out. She turned to look at the view.
"It's beautiful." She said back, her stuttering and nervousness completely blown away by the view.
"It's my favourite place in the village..." Naruto said, still looking at her. She turned to face him, noticing his gaze locked firmly on her. He took her right hand and placed it on his chest.
"Can you feel it, Hinata chan?" He asked, still looking at her. She blushed when she realised that Naruto had sometime ago unzipped his jacket and she was touching his chest. She could feel his rapid heartbeat.
"Hinata chan... I think... I'm in love..." he said as he continued to look at her. Hinata flinched when he said it. She couldn't think straight. Naruto's in love? But with who? She desperately tried to make sense of the situation but she failed. Trying to blink back tears, she looked up at him.
"W-with who?" She asked quietly, afraid that her chance with him was gone.
"It's Ino, isn't it..." she rationalised. After all, she'd seen him sleep on her shoulder and be rather close to her on his first day at the academy. She could feel the tears running down her cheeks as she waited for his answer. Instead, she felt his fingers brushing her hair and wiping her tears away.
"With you, Hinata chan." She heard him whisper, and then she felt his lips pressing against hers. Hinata's mind was in turmoil. She didn't know what to say. Finally she surrendered to her feelings and she kissed him back. Eventually they broke the kiss, both panting for air, and smiling at each other.
"I love you too, Naruto kun." Hinata said as they held each other's hands and sat down on the Fourth Hokage's head and stared at the sunset. Naruto felt truly at peace. With Hinata's head lying on his shoulder, he couldn't help but feel calm.
"Do you want me to tell you a story?" Naruto asked, giving Hinata another smile. She nodded.
"Ok... here goes..."

"A long time ago in the village hidden in the leaves..."

-----FLASHBACK

"It's the nine tails Fox!" A ninja screamed as the Kyuubi thrashed his tails and roared. The Third Hokage was dressed in his shinobi outfit alongside his ANBU as they watched it draw closer to the village. He looked back at the other Jonin and Chunin.
"Ok! We have to fight him and force him away from the village and wait for the Fourth Hokage!" The Third Hokage shouted as they engaged the Nine tails. There was a big struggle, but it was clear that they weren't winning.