18

I can't remember the exact order of the fights so please take this into consideration XD

All the Genin stood assembled in a giant hall with two balconies on either side and a slightly raised platform in front of them. The Hokage was seated there, alongside the other proctors. The Jonin sensei of all the teams present were standing up on the balconies.
"This is the preliminary round." Yugao said. He eyed Naruto a little longer than the rest as she looked at them. It was to tell him not to reveal too much.
"You'll have to fight against each other from now on. Those who win will pass to the final round and those who are defeated will be eliminated from the Chunin exams. Everyone here is now your enemy. Now please go wait on the platform until your name appears on the screen." Yugao said and pointed at the screen with her sword. All the Genin immediately headed upstairs. Yugao gave a nod and a man by the screen, Hayate, entered in the names of all the Genin who had not forfeited. Then he flicked a switch. The screen began to cycle through a whole bunch of letters until it slowed down and displayed two names.

Sasuke Uchiha vs Yoroi Akado

The two Genin jumped down, with Kakashi, and Naruto both paying close interest. Orochimaru, under the guise of a sound Jonin sensei also watched. Sakura didn't even look. The last few days had been anything but peaceful. She envied Naruto's relationship with Hinata. Sasuke didn't bother talking to her anymore and it crushed her heart completely. She spent the nights crying in Hinata's arms, heartbroken, and she couldn't even bear to look at Sasuke anymore. At least, before that day, Sakura knew she had a faint hope, even if it was a stars length away, that the Uchiha might like her, but now she knew from his reaction that it was non existent. Sasuke looked like he lacked sleep, but he glared and activated his Sharingan immediately.
"Begin." Yugao said and jumped back. The two Genin jumped at each other, exchanging blows. Sasuke jumped back again, realising that his chakra was being drained from him somehow. Yoroi smirked.
"You feel that? The chakra drain is immense..." he said with a chuckle. Sasuke closed his eyes for a moment. In the blink of an eye, he reappeared at Yoroi's feet, launching a kick straight up at Yoroi's chin. He was hit hard and knocked straight into the air, where Sasuke immediately appeared directly behind him. Lee and Guy gasped as they watched while Naruto and Kakashi didn't say anything.
"The dancing Leaf shadow! He copied it from you, Lee!" Guy said, well, shouted.

Sasuke smirked.
"That may have been copied, but from here on out, it's all original! Lions Barrage!" Sasuke said as he kicked him with his right leg, then left leg, before twisting through the air to get above him in order to slam his right foot down in a devastating axe kick. Yoroi was smashed into the ground. Yugao stepped forward and took a look. He was out cold.
"Sasuke Uchiha wins, and advances to the next round." She said as medic ninja came in and placed Yoroi on a stretcher, and took him away. She nodded at Hayate as Sasuke left the battle area and went back to the balcony and stood by his team. Again, the screen cycled through a bunch of letters before they ended once more.

Shikamaru Nara vs Kin Tsuchi

This fight wasn't going to be interesting. That was the thought going through a lot of the Leaf Genin's minds. Shikamaru was known to be the laziest person in Konoha, even if he was a genius with over 200 iq. Kin started the fight almost instantly, throwing needles at Shikamaru, prompting him to dodge. He took his trademark position with his rat hand seal and tried to attach his shadow using his shadow possession jutsu on her, but she dodged it, and threw more senbon at him, forcing him to stop his jutsu. Shikamaru dodged them again, but this time, he saw and heard bells ringing on them.
"Very clever. You throw some with bells and some without bells so I dodge the ones I can hear and get hit by the others?" Shikamaru said. Kin smirked.
"No." she extended a finger which had string tied to it and twitched it - the bells began to ring from the senbon in the wall behind Shikamaru. His ears started ringing as he saw Kin begin to multiply. Dammit, genjutsu.
Shikamaru groaned. Kin simply smirked and raised her hand, preparing to throw her senbon when she found that she couldn't move. It was Shikamaru's turn to smirk as he pointed out that the shadow cast from the string was thicker than it normally would. He then took out several kunai, watching as Kin was forced to mirror the action. Then he threw, knowing Kin would do so as well.
"You're crazy!" She shouted at him. At the last second, he ducked, and so did she, but she ended up slamming her head into the wall behind her and fainted immediately. Yugao stepped forward.
"Shikamaru wins, and advances to the final round." Again, the medics came out and the floor was cleared. The screen cycled through the letters a third time before they stopped.