9.

C h a p t e r  N i n e
THE RED-EYED WOLF

And into the forest, I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.

♦ ° ♦ ° ♦

Dead leaves crunch and break apart underneath my converse as I walk deeper into the forest, the trees that were tall as a four-story building hung over me with branches that stuck out and creates a shadowed pathway for me as if knowing what I was up to. The forest wasn't always pretty and calming, I swatted a bug that flew by face the same time I ducked under a low hanging tree branch.

"Shït!" I hiss out between my teeth when a sharp-edged branch on the ground scrapes against my ankle.

I look down to see a small trail blood sliding down and disappearing into my white socks.

"Just what I need," I mutter to myself, continuing on my way through the shrubs.

What seemed like hours, I finally burst into a clearing the sight instantly taking my breath away. The air was fresher as I took in a deep breath; everything was clear even with the dark sky and the moonlight shining down, but that's not what caught my attention, my feet began to move on their own, my eyes locking on the ocean view ahead of me that stretched for miles.

The deep blue water rippled and glistened in the evening light, it was until I had stopped that I gazed down and saw a steep cliff with a long fall, a place destined for something to happen. The waves crashed violently against the sharp-edged rocks against the cliff side, I whistle stepping back to a safe distance.

I enjoy those few minutes, the wind blowing gently across my face with the sound of the ocean below me and the rustle of the tree leaves brushing against each other nothing but distant background noise. This could be my little hideaway from the house when it becomes to suffocating. I take another deep breath, enjoying the taste of the air and how light it made me feel. A sudden crunch! pulled me from my peaceful moment causing me to whirl around.

I examine the forest, looking for where the sound came from, nothing with my sight. Movement from the far left of the woods caught my eye and all air left my lungs.

A wolf, the size of a bear, walked out into the clearing its step slow and stalking, its muscles rippled underneath its brown fur that was matted with dirt and mud, they tighten and unclenched with each step. My body froze, my own muscles tightening together with fear creeping into my system when its unnaturally red eyes locked on my form.

We stood there staring at one another as its lips slowly pulled back, showing its canines that looked sharp as a knife and about the length of my finger. A growl crawled from the depths of it chest and vibrated through the air, its intentions deep in the sound, my hands twitched and my legs began to shake with adrenaline coursing through my veins.

Just like a flickering switch, it darted towards me, a bloodthirsty snarl tearing through its throat. My moved; a goal set in my head as I turned and sprinted back through the trees in the path I've come from, it wasn't long after I heard pounding sets of paws behind me. Another snarl sounded from behind causing me to push harder, my feet slamming against ground picking up speed with each connection.

My heart beats frantically in my chest, slamming against my ribcage as I ducked and dodged under leaning branches. Hot air brushed against my calves and I already knew what it was, I clenched my teeth to keep me from crying out in fear and also from provoking it further; my legs pushed me up as I hopped over a fallen tree trunk the sound of snapping teeth ringing in my ears. The fear within me spiked higher than ever.