43.

C h a p t e r   F o r t y- T h r e e
A LOSS TO BOTH HEART AND MIND

❝You're a warrior, warriors don't give up and they don't back down. Pick up your sword and shield and fight.

♦ ° ♦ ° ♦

I sat waiting for something to happen, immobilized next to the empty body that once held the kind soul of my Mother, she was now gone and there was nothing I could do or could have done. My anger still lingered in my veins, the bloodlust simmering down from a boil to a soft hum, but nevertheless, still there, I stared down at London in my arms — ignoring the screams down the hall as the sounds slowly grew closer.

Another roar shook the walls, vibrating the ground and rattling my bones and mind, but I didn't respond in any way while stroking the flesh of London's hands. I watched him sleep despite the ongoing sounds that filled the air, scanning his features; his button nose already starting to look like Dad's, his eye shape similar to his as well.

The shape of his face was same as Mom's, full cheeks and small plump lips, everything about him was small; from his body to the tip of his fingers nails that were curled around my pinky. A muscle in his cheek twitches and the movement beneath his eyes causes my heart to lurch, slowly his thin, small eyelids part open and I'm greeted with dull grey eyes that stare up into my eyes, innocence in the depths.

The sight brings tears to my eyes, one lone tear curving around my cheek and dripping down my chin and onto London's nose in a splash; he flinches at the contact but doesn't take his eyes away from mine.

'If only Mom could have this moment. . .'

His gaze tears away from mine and begins to look around the cell, taking in the dull colors, shapes, and objects despite the dark lighting. The hairs on my arms start to stand and the air begins to shift at the awareness of a predator approaching, but this feeling was all too familiar, the door to the cell was yanked open with a loud creak and the human instincts still within me urged my limps to run away from the threat that slowly grew closer; but I didn't. I stayed planted in my spot continuing to gaze at London that had his eyes on someone in front of me.

"I remember it all. . ." I whisper, not lifting my eyes from the only thing holding me down. "I remember every single detail, emotion, event that's been taken away from me."

"Abigail. . ." his voice was nothing but a whisper in the breeze to me. I finally lift my eye up to collide with green ones that have constantly been in my dreams.

"I always had someone protecting me from afar."

He closes the distance between us, the air now silent with the lingering smell of death and the feel of sorrow, his hands hovered in the air near my body, hesitantly, before resting it on my shoulder while gazing deeply into my eyes.

"Isn't that right. . . Elijah?"

He doesn't say anything but his eyes sadden further, the small flicker of movement as he switch gazes to me then to my mom.

"We have to go," he spoke, looking over his shoulder where a commotion was beginning to echo our way.

When I didn't make a move to speak or pull away from his touch he inched closer on his hunches and effortlessly lifted me into his arms as if I weighed nothing. He stood to his feet and his gaze drifted to a place I didn't dare look back to one last time; I hold onto London tighter, pulling my sweater more around his body as Elijah finally turned away and walked through the exit.