28.

C h a p t e r T w e n t y - E i g h t
TELL ME MORE

Stay low key. Not everyone needs to know everything about you.

♦ ° ♦ ° ♦

"Start from the beginning," I say, after the long tense silence between us. "I want to know everything," I emphasized.

He sighs, running his hand down his face. "All right," he sighs once more, "Okay."

I watched as Dad leans forward, resting on his elbows while his knuckles were interlocked, he intakes a deep breath, "Sarah was just like you, born from a human mother while having a werewolf father – my brother." he starts, looking me dead in the eyes.

"They call you guys halflings, half human and half werewolf."

He pauses once more and I could see that it was difficult for him to speak the things he was about to say, the way he runs his hands through his hair and the light sheen of sweat glossing his forehead.

"Go on," I say, waiting for him to talk. He glares at me and I shrug, intrigued.

"Back in 1213 BC, Egypt, our kind revealed their true selves to the humans but they weren't like the wolves you know now," he shuts his eyes, "Only shifting when the moon was full, they were called Lycans."

"Why 'were'?" I ask.

Dad's eyes flicker open, swirling with a darkness I've never seen before. "I'm not sure they exist anymore, no one does, now since wolves can shift whenever they feel the desire to do so," he replies.

"After the Lycans uncovered who they really were in Egypt, others began to do the same around the world and humans didn't take the realization of living among the supernatural too well." he shook his head. "So, a war began that extended for years upon years."

He paused, leaning up, his back popping before he walked around the island counter and to the living room, I twisted in my seat and watched as he bent, gripping the straps of my bookbag.

"Hey!" I called out when he reached inside.

He pulled out the thick, black covered book I had borrowed from the school library. He dropped my bag and made his way over towards me, sitting down on the bar stool beside me while opening to a page.

"Years of bloodshed, death, pain, and war still fresh in black and white," he points to a picture that takes up half the page.

It was gruesome, even though the color was in black and white. There was a lot going on and hard to tell where it started and where it ended; bodies laid on a field the battle was happening on, and dark spots indicated blood splatters and even separate body parts were scattered. A wolf had its jaw locked around a man's neck and in the distance stood out a full moon. My eyes glided down to the caption beneath the picture.

"Battle between Lycans and humans."

"Oh wow," was my response.

Dad shook his head and turned the page telling the story as he went, "The Lycan community finally decided that enough was enough after losing so much of their kind, vice versa to the humans, and decided to create a peace treaty."

Another picture showed a group of older men sitting around a table and one animalistic looking man at the head and a document resting in the center of the table with an ink quill. I could tell this picture was taken in digitally, every person had different expressions on their faces; again, my eyes shifted down to the caption.