32.

C h a p t e r   T h i r t y - t w o↞
MASON

If they stand behind you, protect them. If they stand beside you, respect them. If they stand against you, defeat them.

♦ ° ♦ ° ♦

Xavier was serious when he said he wasn't going to leave my side. Through the weeks he was there, watching and helping me with things I couldn't do with my injured wrist, in the first few days the pain finally registered to my body that I was hurt; at first I couldn't lift anything too heavy without crying out and I barely could turn my head in a certain direction without feeling the sharp stinging pain on the side of my neck. Every time a whimper escapes me it was either him or Dad running to help.

Dad and I came to a sort of truce, I didn't keep my distance like I used to and he would tell me bits of details about wolves, though in the back of my mind there was something he wasn't telling me completely.

Now that the pain was just a dull ache, my annoyance grew, both Dad and Xavier wouldn't let me leave the house, and I couldn't be left alone anywhere; it took some time to get Xavier to stop following me to the bathroom and staying inside while I took a shower. The only time I left the house was for school, after being absent for weeks it was time to come back and Noah has been helping me with the things I've missed, even the grading for the project that was due. He reassured me that he added the last finishing touches and turned it in, we got a 'B' on it.

My birthday was also closing in, I almost forgot though if it wasn't for Mom who jogged my memory when she brought it up the other day, soon I would be a legal adult, and it would mark two full months that I've been in Moonbrooke. So much has happened, and I still couldn't fathom that I was attacked by Vampires. A violent shiver rushes down my spine.

"Are you cold?"

I snap my eyes to the side, to see Xavier staring at me with caution and worry lighting up his features. His brown eyes, that sent warmth through me, looked me over before he stopped in his tracks releasing my hand from his.

"Maybe we should go back," he says, reaching forward and tightening my parka around me, "I can always bring you next time, I don't want you getting—"

"Xavier!" I cut in between his rambling. I let out a breathless laugh, "I'm okay, gee, you're acting like I'm the frailest glass cup on the shelf."

He presses his lips tightly together, staring me down, white specs of snow littered his hair as they fell from the grey sky above. I walk a few steps forward and around him, the sound of my boots crunching the snow beneath my feet while I scan the surrounding naked trees that didn't hide the white wasteland that stretched as far as I could see. I turn back around, and face to where Xavier was still standing.

"What were you going to show me anyway?" I ask, curious as to why he walked me into the woods behind the pack house.

He stuffed his hand into his pants pockets, "I wanted to show you my wolf."

My eyebrows shoot up to my hairline, "Uh, wow, okay. . um why?" I bite my lip, tilting my head.

Xavier rubs the back of his head, taking slow steps toward me until I had to lean my head back to meet his gaze. "Since you're my mate, I want you to know me whole. And that starts with showing you my beast," he utters, tucking a piece of hair behind my ear.

The same feeling I've felt for weeks makes my heart thump harder, I give him a nod and his response was a smile, revealing his set of straight teeth. Kissing my forehead, he steps back and begins to take his shoes off, then followed his jacket and shirt. My body started to heat up just watching him, his bare chest exposed to my gaze, my eyes slid down over his abs watching as they clenched at the slightest movement and his pectorals flinched. I zeroed on his dark pink, nïpples that stood erect due to the cold kissing them.