38.

C h a p t e r   T h i r t y - E i g h t
SILVER-LINING

Run, run, as fast as you can. . .

♦ ° ♦ ° ♦

XAVIER

I tried not to become paranoid. I try to wait a few minutes longer because I know that she probably wanted to settle in, it wasn't that long of a drive from here to her house but still; the worry is eating me alive.

"She's fine," Justin says, walking up from beside me.

Everyone has long gone to bed, the house dimmed in lighting and noises as everyone ventured into their own rooms and settle in for the night; that left Justin, Dylan and myself in the living room as I worried about Abigail.

I sigh, dropping my phone beside me, running a hand down my face them rub my brows from how long I've been frowning. "I won't be sure until she calls," I reply.

Dylan walks in the same moment Justin sits beside me on the sofa.

"Stop messing with him," Dylan calls out, striding over to us, "You would be the same way if it was Stella."

Justin simply clicks his tongue playfully and sinks further into the sofa cushion. My eyes betrayed me and flickered down to my phone beside me, the worry in me reaching a new height, and just as I was about to pick up the phone an interruption in the mind link pulled me away.

'Xavier.' my Dad's voice rung in my head, 'What I'm about to tell you, I need you to keep an open mind and be clear of anything in your way.' from the harden tone he gave off and the waves of tension that can be felt through the link made me uneasy.

'Whatever you have to say, just say it.' I tell him.

His sigh passes over through the link, 'There's been a kidnapping close on way out of town, we don't know who or what but all we know is that they're gone and can't be traced.'

'Who was taken?' I ask, my pulsing raising when he didn't immediately answer.

'Xavier. . .'

I shoot to my feet, the beast in my head growling in the back of my head, giving its way forward. Justin and Dylan speak but their voices are muffled by my own anxiety.

'Dad tell me!'

'Cole's mate and Abigail were taken, we can't smell their scents anywhere to track where they were taken. . I'm sorry, son.'

The rest of his words drown out as the beast's anguish roar rattles my brain and fuels my movements, I cut the link off promptly and dart from the living room and towards the front door.

"Xavier!"

I rip the door open, my claws digging into the wood as I rush outside not the quite, still air. My body drums and vibrates as heat raises at an alarming rate, my muscles rippling beneath my skin as my feet slammed into the snow.

The beast surges forward, violent growls rising from my chest and into the air, blazing heat envelops my bones filling my veins like a fire was lit inside me and yearning to burn everything in its path; my muscles pop and rearrange for him, my steps faltering then picking up as I jump into the air, landing on four legs.

I zip through the trees, zigzagging and letting my beast run free, taking me to the scene of where it all went wrong. Air flows over my fur and into my ears, flattening them to the skull of my head, I gain speed becoming a blur of motion; I make it to the town's beginning in no time.