46.

C h a p t e r   F o r t y-S i x
BEAST

I felt so much that I started to feel nothing.

♦ ° ♦ ° ♦

I scream.

I sob and I cry, holding back nothing while clutching heavily on to Noah's body, a part of me still hoping that those eyes would refocus and shine with an innocent shyness, not the dullness that would forever haunt me.

Hopelessness grips at my heart, capturing it in a cage of despair and fear as tears slid down my cheeks like a river's current. I hiccup and choke, rocking back and forth and pressing Noah closer to my chest. He lays limp with his arms by his side, cold to the touch, blood coating the side of his face and around the wound; eyes staring blankly upwards the grey sky.

The sound of the house door swinging open echoes in the dead silence but I pay no mind to it, I look down at my hand that hovers beside his pale cheek, the color slowly draining from his face and ice beginning to replace it. My hand trembles and quakes with emotions that coursed through me like a faucet; my fingertips grazing over his skin with the thought that this was repeating again. The arrow went straight through his heart, piercing it from behind and exiting through the front, that's what it felt like for me, an agonizing pain that I couldn't describe stabbing my heart. It hurt so much.

"Oh my, goddess. . ."

More tears slip down my face as I stare into his eyes that will never look again, gritting my teeth, I force my hand to close his eyes, his facial features looking nothing but peaceful now. The frigid air does nothing to freeze my heart back together, in pieces they are, a coldness settles in that numbs me to the core. I bend over, pressing my face into his neck where the tears continue to fall and slide down his neck and drop into the snow.

It should have been me. It should have been me, it should have been me. It should have been me lying in my own blood, gasping to stay alive where I could tell Xavier that I loved him back and that it didn't matter if Noah failed, it was going to be okay.

I failed to protect someone close to me again, I should have sensed that arrow, I should have pulled him down with me. I should have done a lot of things and here I am, holding a soulless body against my own, once more.

"It should have been me. . ." I choked out, shaking my head and continue to rock his body in my arms.

I inhale his scent, know this would be the final time he would be surrounding me with his calmness and smell.

"Abigail. ."

I shake my head, shaking off the hand that came to rest upon my shoulder, and cling tighter onto Noah. I didn't want to let him go. The sobs began to build back up, flowing out of my mouth and into the air, drenched with my heartache and sadness, a continuous waterfall dripping from my eyes.

"Well, well, look at what we have here," a cold voice chord throughout the street.

I lift my head, my eyes drifting upwards to look across the street where a man stalked from the woods that was behind a house off to the side. His eyes glowed red as he stalked forward, my gaze flickering over across the yard where another being stepped out from the shadows of the woods; both illuminating dark intentions.

As I stared into their eyes, flashes of familiarity shocked its way into my veins.

The one with dirty blonde locks steps closer, from on the other side of the street, his steps crunch in the snow. Those ruby red eyes stare me down then flicker down to Noah in my arms—I tighten my grip on him— a smirk making his way on his lips.