31.

C h a p t e r   T h i r t y - O n e↞
CLOSER THAN EVER

The Future has a way of arriving unannounced.

♦ ° ♦ ° ♦

I cry until I can't cry anymore, when the tears dry up I stay pressed against Dad's chest too weak to move. My muscles feel sore and tight as if I was running a marathon for hours upon hours, there was sniffling beside my own and even that didn't make me turn away from staring at how Dad's chest rose and fell with every breath he took in.

"Cole," someone spoke. "I need to put the bandages on."

A moment of silence passes a sigh heaves from Dad's chest and he moves his hands to my arms where he gently pulls me back from his chest, and I stare up into his eyes that lower somewhat in intensity nothing but caution shines in them as if he were to handle me roughly I would break down crying once more.

He then tilted my head to the side exposing the sensitive wound and at the same moment a deep growl rumbles through the room and Dad's eyes instantly shoot over by the door where Xavier was standing by.

My own confusion shows when he reaches for my injured wrist and turns it over. Mom's face appears in my vision and her expression shows her concern and the fear she's trying to suppress for me.

"Don't worry baby, the doctor just needs to patch up your wounds." she says, "It won't take long, okay?"

I stare into her eyes before nodding mutely, I feel someone step up close from the way my senses heighten, still in Dad's lap I twist around and see an unfamiliar lady in jeans wearing a white coat, she looked no older than twenty-one with pitch black hair framing her face in a short bob.

She leans down to my level with two square bandages in her hand, and her green eyes flicker around my face before producing a gentle reassuring smile as she begins to attend to my wounds being as gentle as she could be.

I blank out, my vision focusing in and out as I stare at no particular direction, my thoughts go back to the dream that plays in the back of my mind. Two to three times I have seen the same pale man named Elijah in my dreams, and funny thing is that each time Dad and Mason were there and have seen this man. Movement from my side breaks me away from my thoughts and back to reality.

From the door in pops Noah's head full of brown hair, his eyes scan around the room before they land on me and instantly his eyes cloud with heavy guilt and sadness, they stray away from my form for a bit as he glances at Xavier for a second, almost as if asking could he come inside the room; an unnoticeable nod was passed, and Noah slowly crept inside taking small tentative steps toward me.

Dad pulls me off his lap and sets me down on the edge of the bed —as I finally realized we were in my room — but didn't sit far, the Doctor worked on my neck now. Noah kneels beside me, his eyes trained on the bandage of my wrist and trail up to my neck where the female doctor finishes up, brushing her fingers against the edges of the bandage to seal it, I feel her step back and a deep exhale rises from her chest.

"All finished up," she says, her voice soft but seeming loud in the quiet room. "If you need any further help or to retouch up the bandages, I'll be at the packhouse." all while she was speaking, she was collecting her things and placing them into a small carryon bag.

"I'll walk you out," Dad says from beside me, as he pushes himself up, the bed dipping then going back into place.

He leans down, planting a gentle kiss on my forehead. Mom moves around the bed and grabs my hands, bringing them to her mouth as she breathes on them while looking into my eyes.