16.

C h a p t e r S i x t e e n
FRIENDS

I never lose, either I win or I learn.

♦ ° ♦ ° ♦

"Noah!"

He whips to the side, the brown curls on the top of his head following the movement, while his wide eyes gaze back at me; shocked. I threw my hand up in a wave, a small smile tugging at my lips as I walked through the threshold of my second period class.

Noah's eyes begin to flicker back and forth from me to his books, not meeting my eyes as I sat in the empty seat behind him.

"H-hey, uh, um. ." he frowned, stopping and realizing that he never knew my name.

The way his face scrunched up made me chuckle, and a small blush began to dust his cheeks at my reaction to him, I found it adorable and placed my book bag on the floor beside the chair next to his and plopped my bottom in the seat.

"I kinda knew this was going to happen," I say, resting my elbows on the table. "My name's Abigail, or did you already know that?"

He shook his head, bowing his head and playing with his pencil. "No, I didn't, sorry," he mutter, his tone soft.

I wave my hand, dismissively. "It's fine."

We both fall silent, and I begin to play with the edges of my hair, debating whether or not I should cut it. Then I drift my eyes away to see the teacher still wasn't here even after the bell rung, people sat on top of desk speaking with each other while laughing and joking.

"Why are you over here?"

"Hmn?" I hummed, turning my head back towards him. His eyes were downcast to his paper before he lifted them back up.

"I asked why are you over here," he mutters, his eyes flickering to something behind me then back. "I mean, why sit with me?"

I tilt my lips to the side then turn my head to look over my shoulder, eyeing the group of boys who sat near the back, chuckling menacingly while staring at the both of us.

"Because I can," I say once I turned back, I raise a brow. "Is that bothering you? If so I can move."

I go to grab my book bag and just as I was about to stand, I feel a hand grip on my wrist stopping me, I twist around and see Noah gazing at me with slightly pleading eyes.

"Don't." he whispers, "I didn't mean for it to come off as rude," he voices, his hand tightening on my wrist just a tad.

I flicker my eyes from his hand on my wrist, to his brown eyes as they twinkled in the light above. Heaving a sigh, I nod, sitting back in my chair properly.

"All right," I say, the side of my lip lifting upward.

I see him blow a breath, and without thinking I placed my hand on the top of his hand, ruffling his hair. He makes a noise in the back of his throat— probably one of shock— and pushes my hand away, a red hue dusting his cheeks.

"What was that for?!" he questions, fixing his hair.

I shrug, "I don't know, I felt like doing it."

His opened mouth expression causes a small laugh to bubble and escape my mouth, he stared at me for a few seconds before looking away; a little smile curving at his mouth. After that, the history teacher rushed inside, apologizing for her tardiness and instructed those who were out of their seats to find one.