20.

C h a p t e r   T w e n t y
ALL SINKING IN

Sometimes your heart needs more time to accept what your mind already knows.

♦ ° ♦ ° ♦

It took a moment or two for me to process the sentence. I stared blankly at Dad, before tilting my head, not quite processing it all just yet.

"Eh?" was my response.

Dad sighed, using his forefinger and thumb to rub the space between his brows. "Pumpkin, you have werewolf genetics in your blood," he told me.

I shook my head. "No, I can't, that's not— I'm not—" I stop, shutting my eyes while taking a deep breath.

"You are!" he insisted, looking at me with desperate eyes when I opened mine. "You have my werewolf blood flowing with your human one, making you half and half."

I bit my bottom lip, looking down at my lap where the cup of now cold tea rested, I saw the reflection of myself on the glistening surface. My hair hung on either side of my face, lips parted and eyes sparkling with hopelessness and other emotions flickering through.

"Say something," Dad whispered. "Please."

I glanced up, to see him looking at me. And with a deep inhale, I stood to my feet, the cup still in my hand before I set it down on the coffee table before me.

"I think I need to sleep on all. ." I exhale, waving a hand around. "this."

Dad went to stand, but Logan shook his head. The whole time he and the other three kept quiet through the whole discussion— if I can call it that— but I didn't dwell on it.

Wrapping the blanket around my body, I moved around the two seated, Xavier's eyes following my form as I made my way to the stairs.

"Abigail. ." Mom whispered.

"I just need time." was all I said as I continued up the steps, slowly, towards my room.

Each step bringing new thoughts to my mind, questions, and just so much more. How long were they waiting to tell me? Why did it take them so long? Why not earlier so it would have hurt this much? Is. . Mason the same as me, or Dad?

Immediately I shake my head, ridding that thought from my mind, I haven't thought of him in years and I wasn't going to start now. I could hear their soft mummers echoing in the hall just before I entered my room and shut the door. A sigh left my lips, something I've been doing a lot as my hands tightening around the blanket and with slow strides, I make my way over to the bed.

Falling face first, and sideways off the bed, I groan into the covers then kick my legs once or twice. A small headache was forming and throbbing against my temples, constant images flashing in my head of Dad transforming. I let out a small scream of frustration, kicking my legs once more before I lay in silence, wanting nothing to bother me.

A knock at the door caused my head to snap up.

'Really?' I think, sarcastically.

"Go away!" I call out, sitting up and bringing a pillow to my chest.

"Abigail." his voice drifted in through the cracks of the door, a shiver running down my spine.

I exhale softly, waiting a few moments. "Come in," I then said reluctantly.

Xavier opened the door, slowly, his brown eyes visible through the small opening, watching me stare at him before he opened the door fully and stepped inside; the voices downstairs could be heard just as he closed the door behind him.