42.

C h a p t e r  F o r t y- T w o
CRY

Answer your inner voice.

♦ ° ♦ ° ♦

A cold sweat began to break out at the lifeless stare that taken over Mom's eyes, rising bumps littering the flesh on my arms. London's cries grew louder, the sound echoing into the air, shattering the silence that encased us in its bubble and held us captive. He squirmed in her lap, face red and blotchy with the intensity of his crying.

I shuffled forward, lifting London gently into my arms where I cradled him to my chest, his tiny hands immediately fisted my shirt as I leaned over Mom.

"Mom! Come on, this isn't funny," I shook her by her shoulder, watching as her hand fell limply from her lap to her side. Not a twitch of a muscle.

Her eyes didn't blink or shift to look at me or react to London's cries, they stayed dead to the world just like the rest of her, but I didn't want to believe that she was gone— she wasn't. She wasn't supposed to be, she was supposed to come back home with me when Dad and them found us.

London's cries pierced my eardrums, penetrating the veil that has fallen over my mind, the burn in my throat and nose became unbearable as I tried to hold back the tears that so desperately wanted to break from its dam. I moved closer, waving my hand in front of Mom's face, I even placed a finger under her nose and not a single air brushed against it.

A choked sob escaped my parted lips, I shifted my gaze down to the jeans bunched up between her legs and noticed they were soaked in blood, her blood, more than what someone who gave birth was supposed to release. My lips trembled as I lifted my gaze back to her face, her skin deathly pale and eyes continuing to stare off into space.

"Mommy. ." I whimpered, raising a hand to run the tips of my fingers down her cheeks.

She was so cold, cold to the touch, it made me realize that she's been sitting like this for awhile. My eyes trailed over her slacken features. I'll miss the way her cheeks would redden at Dad's snide comments and the way her eyes would brighten whenever she smiled or looked at Dad or me. I'll miss her soft-spoken words and whispers of 'I love you' and even the fierce side that came out every once in awhile.

(A/N: I'm not crying, there's a leakage somewhere...)

Sinking my top teeth into my lip, my fingers tremble as I close her eyelids and retract them back to my side, setting into stone that she was really gone from this world. London's cries we're slowly cracking the walls to my dam as I wanted to cry myself, I helplessly stared at the soulless body of my mother. Eventually, I let the tears spill freely down my cheeks while my emotions run wild; the beast in me howls in agony and loss, its emotion mix with mine and finally I release the pent-up emotion locked in my heart.

I cry for the pain in my heart.

I sob for the death of my mother.

I cry for the future.

I cry for me.

And I cry for my life that I never lived, my life that's been going downhill since the day I was brought into the world. My cries mingle with London's, who I hold tightly to my heart until its a symphony with its own meaning behind it, I choke up as I pause when I hear the quickening steps of someone barreling their way to our holding.

I don't flinch when the cell door slams open.

"What the fuck is with all this noise!?" the voice roars.