21.

C h a p t e r   T w e n t y - O n e
AFTERMATH

Do one thing that scares you.

♦ ° ♦ ° ♦

Awkward.

That was the only way I could describe the atmosphere I'm currently residing in. It wasn't the same as before, we weren't the same family that used to joke around, ask one another for help, laugh freely. No. That changed, the second he disappeared from my life as well as finding out the hidden life afterward. Nothing was the same, never will be, now we're a family of a werewolf, human and a half-in-half teenager. What happy "normal" family we are.

I couldn't help but chuckle humorlessly at that thought.

Mom's eyes cut over my way at the sound, sadness clouding them. "Are you hungry? I made pancakes," she stated, setting down a plate of golden colored pancakes and eggs.

I shook my head, rubbing my eyes while feeling a slight headache throb against my temples again.  "No thank you," I mumble, sliding off the bar stool.

I could feel his eyes burning into the back of my head, as I pushed my feet into my shoes. Standing straight, I strode over towards the door and slipped my jacket on.

"You sure you don't want either of us to drive you to school?" Mom called out just as my hand hovered over the doorknob.

I glanced over my shoulder, gazing at her for a moment before shifting my gaze over to Dad. He sat, hunched over, fingers interlocked and pressed against his lips, a hard edge around his eyes as he stared right back at me.

"I'm positive," I said, my eyes never straying from his.

And with those words, I turn away, twisting the knob and walking out the door, into the cold winter air, the sound of the door slamming shut. The sound was familiar to the door of my mind shutting away the lies and tells I've told over the years.

~ • ~

I could see a few people standing outside, and I would be lying if I said I wasn't nervous, finding out that a whole town was filled with werewolves that were thought to live in folktale stories, was kinda unnerving.

I stuff my hands deeper into my jacket pocket while listening to the sound of snow crunching underneath the weight of my feet. The temperature seems to be dropping with each hour, and it wouldn't be a surprise if it started to snow fully by the end of the night. I finally make it to the edge of the school grounds and my eyes drift over to the stone sign to my left.

CRYSTAL HIGH
Home to the Wolves

I stared at it for a moment, there was a part of me that wanted to laugh so hard that tears would stream down my cheeks, and the other half wanted to shiver up in fear at how obvious it was. With a sigh, I stride forward, my hand clasping my bag strap.

"Abigail," that familiar deep voice called out to me.

I lifted my eyes to see Xavier, leaning near the school's entrance doors. My eyes were traitors as they skid down his form with minds of their, drinking him in. His hair was a disheveled as if he ran his hand through his hair, a black plain shirt covered his top half, but it didn't keep the muscles underneath from appearing just as he lifted his arm; dark blue jeans snugged against his hips, covering his legs from the cold while his signature converse completed the outfit.