23.

C h a p t e r  T w e n t y - T h r e e
LEARNING MORE [ PART 1 ]

Finding the right person to match your own qualities is hard.

♦ ° ♦ ° ♦

The stares were more intense this time.

I bounce my knee in a repeated pattern, up and down. I kept my eyes downcast on the surface of my desk and away from the judgmental eyes. It's been this way for the past five minutes, and every since Xavier walked me to class, and to my desk, they haven't turned away; not even when Mr. Newman started his lesson and handed out worksheets for the upcoming lab.

"So," Sam started, scooting her desk closer to mine. "I see you both shared a kiss."

I jerked in my seat and whipped my head her way with a flushed face as she wiggled her brows with a small smirk on her lips.

"N-no we didn't." I deny, my eyes drifting to the side as I grab my pencil and began to twirl it.

"Uh huh," her lips tilted to the side, "So your lips being swollen, and tinted red means nothing?"

I choke on my saliva, coughing all while she laughed at me. With watery eyes, I throw my pencil at her which she easily dodges and laughed harder.

"So what if we kissed," I mumbled, wiping my eyes, as I grabbed my pencil back from her.

Sam began bouncing in her seat, "Ooo I knew it!"

"Knew what?" I ask, turning my full attention towards her. She did the same, leaning her cheek on her palm, a small smile on her lips.

"The first day you came here, Xavier had all eyes on you. He was acting differently than usual, a look in his eye I couldn't understand," she explained.

"Oh?"

She hummed, her smiling growing bigger, "It was just a thought that you were his mate, but after what happened in the hall, I was right." she pats herself on the back for her own humor.

I nodded, biting down on my bottom lip. "What is that?" I say after a moment.

"What?" she says a little distracted, writing down answers on her worksheet.

I look around, eyes colliding with a few others, some have turned back and did their own thing while others continued to glance my way. I leaned in closer, my mouth close by her ear.

"A mate."

I pull back the same moment I see her brows raised in surprise. I sit back in my chair, pulling my hair away from my face, into a makeshift ponytail before releasing it, the strands falling in waves down my back.

"I mean, I heard the word three times since I found out about werewolves." I voice.

"And it isn't just that, I have more questions about things and it seems my parents don't want to say anything as of right now."

After the words spill out of my mouth, I let out a frustrated groan and fall forward to where my forehead smacked against the desk with a small thump! I stayed like that with my eyes shut for some seconds.

"You really wanna know?" I hear her ask.

"Yes," I grumble.

"Then come to the packhouse with me, after school."

I continued to keep my head bowed for a few more moments before I slowly lifted my head and gazed at her in confusion once more. I also could see a few students turn their eyes toward Sam, shocked that she would utter such words.