15.

C h a p t e r   F i f t e e n
WARRIOR SIMPSON

Going into the woods is going home.

♦ ° ♦ ° ♦

All air left the confinements of my lungs as I stood frozen in front of the window. Those blue eyes glittered in the moon's light as my hands clenched around the window sill, my gaze never strayed from the glowing orbs, and a very small voice in the back of my head told me it was a wolf— what else would be lingering in the trees?

As to prove it was, the wolf began to slowly stalk out from the dark, its paws sinking into the dirt with every step it took. My heart begins to increase in speed, when it stood at the edge of the forest its fur was shining in the moonlight, the muscles underneath its coat rippling with power. It stood tall beside a thick tree trunk, standing at about six feet next to it.

A sudden door slam causes me to snap my eyes downward, where I saw a silhouette by the garbage can. The wolf growled, its fur on its back rising, and pulled its upper lip back; showing its canines. The silhouette moved forward into the moon's light and I finally recognized it was Dad.

My eyes widen. 'He sees the wolf!'

He slowly stalks forward, before stopping a few meters from the wolf, whose growl grew louder. They stared at each other for a couple minutes and the wolf's growls stopped altogether. With one last flicker of its eyes toward me, it moved backward and back into the forest until it was gone from sight.

Dad stood in the same spot for a few seconds longer before he turned around, his eyes collided with mine, a hard expression on his face as his lips set thin. Questions immediately ran through my mind, so many, that I began to get slightly light-headed but one rang out from the rest.

'What the fück?'

~ • ~

XAVIER

The moon was at it's highest point in the sky, the black background causing it to stand out more and the wispy clouds floating by it slowly gave it an eerie feeling. The wind blew violently, causing the tree leaves to sway, the temperature continues to drop as the night egged on. I ran a hand through my hair in the process pushing my hair back and away from my face.

Blowing a breath, a white cloud formed in front of my face.

"He should be here soon."

I tilt my head down, looking ahead and into the darkened forest, a place where we call home. Glancing to the side, I see Justin pacing up and down between two trees.

"They probably got caught up with something," Dylan comments from his spot by a tree.

"With what?" Justin asks, throwing his hands up, "It's been thirty minutes past the time he was supposed to be here." he complains.

I shuffle up into a better standing position, "He did just found his mate up north." I say, shrugging.

"True," Dylan mumbled.

Justin sighs again, before plopping down in the grass, his knees bent as he rested his elbow on then and holding his wrist.

"Your Dad's going to be mad," Justin muttered, rubbing his head.

I shook my head, shrugging. A couple of minutes went by with us in a comfortable silence, Justin was playing with grass while Dylan had his head tilted upward gazing at the sky.