29.

C h a p t e r   T w e n t y - N i n e↞
CRIMSON SNOW

Stay wild moon child.

♦ ° ♦ ° ♦

XAVIER

"What's the report?"

"Alpha Logan just got a call from the neighboring pack the other day – Alpha Ryan, and heard that again red-eyed wolves were caught breaching his border, coming from the north," Justin says, digging his fingers through his hair while looking down at a few papers.

"But get this, they were zipping straight past the homes, and their pack house."

I frown, "Where were they headed?"

"Here."

I inhale sharply, my eyes snapping up and connecting with his, they're holding the same question that hangs in the air. All I could think was if they were to get past Blue Crescent's border and onto ours, what will Abigail be doing at the time? Will she be in a safe place? our borders were next to each other with a small gap in between, and her house was located by that side. I sigh heavily, the beast in me shaken awake.

"How many were there?" I ask after a quiet minute.

Justin looks down at the papers, "Three to Four." he replies, still scanning over the document.

Suddenly the door to the office swings open and Dylan rushes in.

"You might want to add on to that document, Justin." he immediately states, striding over to my desk.

"Why?"

"Alpha Ryan just called in again, they caught a scent of something else besides those wolves," Dylan says, placing his knuckles down on the surface of the desk. "They don't know it was corresponding with the red-eyed wolves but they found traces of the same smell on them."

Justin blanches, and I do the same as I stare into Dylan's eyes, nothing but seriousness.

"And? Do they know what it is?" Justin questions, looking back and forth from Dylan to me.

"No. It was too fast for them to pinpoint who or what, but it's heading this way; patrol just caught a whiff of it on the east border."

I immediately jump to my feet, followed by Justin who growls under his breath. "Then what are we sitting around talking about this then!" I say, already walking from behind the desk, my body shaking with small tremors.

Dylan steps back and halts me by my shoulder, "Wait! Your Dad told me to tell you not to react irrational, pick a few warriors and head over to where their scent was the strongest, as soon as possible." he explains to me.

My jaw clenches as I quickly turn my head away, shutting my eyes tightly together trying to calm the raging beast within my head; as he demands to be let out to run to our mate. I could feel my eyes shift beneath my lids for a minute or two before the tremors stop but barely. Releasing a heavy breath, I nod.

"All right, you know where to go?"

A knowing look crosses through Dylan's eyes, "Yes,"

~ • ~

ABIGAIL

I waited just like Dad said, waited for him to tell me more details about the treaty and more about halflings; it never came and it's been a few weeks since then.