13.

C h a p t e r  T h i r t e e n
BEGINNING

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.

♦ ° ♦ ° ♦

XAVIER

"What do you think it is?"

Justin saunters forward, his nose crinkling up in obvious disgust. He crosses his arms over his chest while examining the mangled wolf body. I shrug at his question.

"Well, it's clear that its a wolf," he said, tilting his head to the side. "But I've never seen anything like this."

Before us laid an unidentified wolf, deceased, the color of its fur brown and matted with mud and dirt and it's in blood; its throat ripped open. What stood out the most was the black blood that oozed from the wound. Even its eyes were a dull red, very unusual for a wolf, a rouge at that.

"What's going on here?" a voice called out from behind us.

Both Justin and I turned around in time to see my Dad making his way through tree branches, and toward us.

"Alpha Logan," Justin uttered, respectfully bowing.

He nods in acknowledgment, coming to stand beside me, his eyes guarded down at the body. The muscles in his jaw contracted together as he stares.

"The Patrol filled you in, right?" I ask, tilting my head back to watch his reaction.

"Yes," his tone low, "This isn't the first time I've smelled this scent before either," he says walking toward the wolf, nudging it with his booted foot.

Justin perks up, his eyebrows shooting up in surprise. "Really? Where from?"

A low growl slipped past his lips, his eyes a shade darker. "The rouge's place."

This sparked my interest, "What makes you say that?" I ask this time.

"His daughter was attacked the other day," he uttered gravely, "I went outside to see what it was, but only caught of whiff of its scent; preferably the one I'm smelling now," he explains.

"Hold on," Justin voiced, "You're saying that the human girl was attacked by this unknown wolf, right?"

Dad nodded, "That is what I said."

Justin flushed in the cheeks a bit, "Sorry. I was just thinking why would it go after her?"

A thoughtful look crosses over Dad's face, his eyes downcast for a second before flickering back up.

"I thought that too but there could have been a possibility that it either smelled her scent and was curious or maybe decided to have a midnight snack," he states, his lips pressed in a thin line.

Just the thought of someone or something hurting Abigail caused the beast within me to growl viciously; clouding and confusing my brain. I stuffed my hands into my pants pockets with my thumbs sticking out, a breeze whirled around the area blowing my hair to the side as well as lifting the scent of the dead scent up.

I scrunched up my nose the same time Justin groaned.

"Goddess that thing stinks," he gagged, covering his nose with the back of his hand.

In the same time span, the body began to move, my back tensed as Dad's whole body tightens next to mine while Justin stands guarded for anything. It soon shifted back into its human skin, being a man no older than his mid-twenties, his skin was pale with death and his face unrecognizable to us even with his throat ripped out.