36.

C h a p t e r   T h i r t y - S i x↞
CALM BEFORE THE STORM

In my defense, the moon was full and I was left unsupervised.❞

♦ ° ♦ ° ♦

Xavier was kept away from me for a few hours— a deep part inside my head not pleased with that— as Dad tried to help me get used to the enhanced senses, while he did that he explained why I was experiencing this.

"Listen closely," Dad said softly, "Can you hear it?"

We both stood outside, though it was lightly snowing, and there was no need for me to wear a jacket, I didn't feel the frigid air against my skin. It was odd and a new feeling, I felt completely normal. Tilting my head downwards, I strain my ears, listening and just as clear as day I could hear the waves crashing along the cliff's wall, the seagulls screeching and critters scampering around.

"I can hear the ocean, and other animals," I tell him, swiveling around to face him.

He stood back with a grin forming on his lips, "That's good! Try to listen to something else."

Nodding, I shut my eyes, and again listen for the different things around us, the waves crashing against the rocks was an background noise as I picked up footfalls in the snow; the ice crunching beneath their feet.

Snapping my eyes open, I whip to the side and catch a pair of shadows on the ground growing closer until I lift my gaze and see Mason rounding the corner of the house with a woman closely behind him.

"Dad," he called out, earning his attention. "I'll like you to meet someone."

Dad turns his body to face Mason, a curious expression marring his face as he peered at the girl beside him. Gesturing towards her, Mason smiled down at the red-headed that seemed to stick to his side.

"Dad," his gaze cut over toward me then, "Abigail. This is Susan, my mate."

That smile returned to his face, one I have seen only on Xavier's face and I watched the smaller women beside him with caution.

"Well I'll be damned," Dad chuckled, "It's nice to meet you."

"You too," was her soft reply, her green eyes staring at Dad before moving over towards me.

She watched me as I watched her, I glide my faze down her body and over her face, taking in her petite form— I was at least a few inches taller than her— and how weak she looked. Her red tresses were flowing in her face making her look like something drawn from an artist's portfolio, yet something wasn't right. Again, that nagging feeling was telling me, nudging me, to always be on alert around her.

"Hi," she greets, "You must be Mason's little sister," she states.

I nod. "That's me."

A small smile graces her lips, "I've heard so much about you, he speaks highly of you. It's finally nice to meet you."

I narrow my eyes the slightest bit, and cross my arms, "I wish I could say the same."

~ • ~

Days blurred by as slow as they wanted, no real big events happened, everything was steady and calm beside Dad teaching me how to suppress some of my senses when things become overwhelming. Mason and his mate have been spending a lot of time around the house, while Mom and Dad grew into the feel of having their family whole again.