37.

C h a p t e r   T h i r t y - S e v e n
FEAR DRIVEN

To serve the light, we work on the dark.

♦ ° ♦ ° ♦

"Hey, baby." Xavier greeted me before I could even walk through the doors of the manor.

I frowned up at him, watching as he pressed a light kiss to my lips. He pulled away and gazed down at me with a small smile playing on his lips. Riley walked through the doors causing the both of us to move to the side as she closes them behind her.

"What?" he asked, his hands rubbing up and down my arms.

Sparks fluttered in the places his hands reached, "Nothing, it's just that you called me baby." I raise a brow at him.

He laughs, "What's the matter with that? I can't call you baby?" he questioned, clear amusement in his eyes.

"Considering the fact that I just turned eighteen today– a legal adult, um, you take a lucky guess." I laugh incredulously at him, shaking my head.

I move to step around him, but he catches me and pulls my back against his chest, his face bent and lips grazing my ear.

"All right then, I won't call you baby anymore, sweetheart," he growled huskily.

I shivered, heat lighting up my body as I burn and yearn for him in ways I couldn't imagine. The animal within me growled its approval at his tone and the way his body was flushed against me.

"Stop it, Xavier," I whisper, clamping my hands down on his arms that were wrapped around my torso.

"Hmn." he rumbles against my neck, his lips grazing his mark.

A violent shudder zips down my spine, making my toes curl at the exotic feeling, before I know what's happening I'm lifted and turned upside down over his shoulder. I squeal in surprise, my hands smacking against his lower back to keep my face from smacking against his backside. I kick my legs, my heart beating fast from the sudden movements and jolts.

"Xavier!? What the hell?" I call out, his legs moving in a direction I couldn't see.

"Not now, sweetheart, we have a party to go attend," he says cheekily, and I can basically hear his smile.

"There is no need for this," I growl, my chest rumbling with the sound.

A hard smack against my äss makes me release an unladylike squawk.

"Don't be ungrateful," he says, walking down a hall with me still over his shoulder. "I'm doing you a favor."

"I'm not—" another smack in my rear causes me to kick my legs, the stinging pulsing on my skin and making my body flare with need.

"Stop it!"

Smack.

"Xavier!"

Smack. Smack.

I press my lips together, resting silently on his shoulder as he strode to wherever he was taking me, and I could practically see the smugness coming off him in vibrant waves. He comes to a stop, sliding me down his front, feeling every ridge and dent of his hard body. Once on my feet, I glare up at up, ready to tell him off but he shuts me up with a finger to my lips.

"Not now," he says, smiling. "We'll talk about this later, but right now, let's have fun."

Grabbing me by my shoulders, he whirls me around to face the group of people gathered around a table presenting me with smiles on their faces.